• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Got It......It's fast....it's really REALLY fast...

I've been playing with the N1 for about a week and I previously had a 2nd gen iPhone. There are somethings you give up with going with the N1, but there is also a lot you gain.

Losses
- pinch-zoom in native google apps
- polished interfaces
- multi-touch keyboard

[snip]

I've been hearing about how no pinch-zoom & multitouch is such a problem for Android stock apps. I've never owned an iPhone so I never had the time to get used to its UI, but here's why I don't think I'd ever want that capability. Most of the time I use my N1 (and my G1 before it, and my Treo 680 before that), I use it one-handed. I've got a cup of coffee in the other hand, or a steering wheel (only when stopped, of course), or a remote for the TV, or something. I type and select apps with my thumb (either one--I appear to be ambidextrous), and don't seem to need the other hand. For me to get used to a two-handed UI would not help in most ways I use the phone. But maybe that's just me.

Upvote 0
Pinch-zoom is nice to have for fine tune zooming. Maps is a perfect example. Double-tap seems to have a set amount of zoom for the action. Pinch-zoom allows you to zoom in as much as you want. The same goes for web pages. Dbl-tap has a set amount of zoom so sometimes it doesn't zoom to the exact part of the page you want to view.

Multi-touch typing is very nice when typing with two hands. I don't know percentages of users that type with more than one hand, but for myself multi-touch on the keyboard makes typing much faster and you don't miss character input. I had to slow down when using the android keyboard because I miss-typed so many words. What makes the whole situation more aggravating is that google promised a multi-touch keyboard and didn't deliver:
Android 2.0 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

Coming from the world of iPhone has some UI baggage, but that's because they got so many things right with the phone. It's taken apple 3 years of refinement so it will just be a matter of time before android can catch up on that front. That said there have been vast improvements from v1 to v2.1 so they're not asleep at the wheel.

Upvote 0
one issue with video recording... because they are 720p.... the vids end up being TOO BIG to email... but yet there's no option to compress or reduce them to be able to send. you can chose the "mms" quality option, but if you also want to actually KEEP the vid in addition to sending (email) - it's not a very good option IMO....

there should be a "compress" or even a "crop" option like the iphone 3GS had for sending videos...

Upvote 0
one issue with video recording... because they are 720p.... the vids end up being TOO BIG to email... but yet there's no option to compress or reduce them to be able to send. you can chose the "mms" quality option, but if you also want to actually KEEP the vid in addition to sending (email) - it's not a very good option IMO....

there should be a "compress" or even a "crop" option like the iphone 3GS had for sending videos...

Video capture with the N1 is 720 x 480. There is a setting in the video recorder to capture in Low (for MMS messages) or High (for SD card).

Upvote 0
Rumor is that Apple will show off the new iPhone on January 27th. So if you're really torn, I suggest waiting the 12 days to see what the 4th generation iPhone has to offer.

even if it gets "shown", and i'm super geeked to find out if it will (i've been an apple/mac user for years)... it will still be at least 6 months (my guess) before hardware ships... so in the meantime, may as well enjoy the Nexus One :p (which I'm really liking more and more as I use it... might be hard to part with come the release of the 4th gen iPhone, depending of course on what the next iPhone has to offer....)

Upvote 0
Video capture with the N1 is 720 x 480. There is a setting in the video recorder to capture in Low (for MMS messages) or High (for SD card).

dude... i know that... but once you pick one, you're "stuck" with it - that's my gripe... what if i want to take a high res vid (720x480) to keep, but also may want to mms or email it... there should be a feature to compress and/or crop the 720x480 vid to make it mms/email-able... yet retain the high quality version for archiving, or simply watching on a computer or larger screen later...

taking the 3GS as example (it's what I had prior - bear with me)... you take a long video (one full res on the 3GS)... you go to mms is... the 3GS compresses it to be able to mms... you want to email it - oh wait it's too big - 3GS allows you to crop a XX sec portion of the clip to email it... yet keeps the original, full res version intact and saved on the device.... quite a simple concept, and it's a shame the Nexus can't do something similar... it's hardware is more than capable...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones