1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Got lag?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by OfTheDamned, Feb 3, 2010.

?

Does your Eris have a lag problem?

1. No lag at all

30 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. A little

114 vote(s)
    46.3%
  3. A moderate ammount

71 vote(s)
    28.9%
  4. Quite a bit

28 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. My phone is almost unusable

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. BoulderAndroidFan

BoulderAndroidFan Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    Multimedia
    West
    Just noticed this thread. No real lag on the phone but have about 53 apps installed, leaving about 49mb of memory after caches have been cleared. I do use ATM--but manually kill every now and then, with auto-kill turned off. I'm going to purge a couple more highly-rated free apps that I thought I would need but really don't use like Superpages and HandyCalc. Most other users on the forum seem to have a lot more memory left on their phone. There's also a difference between the memory that's checked via the SD card and phone storage setting on the phone vs. memory that's visible in task managers that fluctuates rapidly after killing apps. The 49mb number is the one on phone storage setting.

Advertisement

2. truelove79

truelove79 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 12, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    Peoria, IL
    It is.

3. pkopalek

pkopalek Android Expert
    None

Dec 19, 2009
    Computer Technician / Systems Implementation Manag
    Buffalo, NY
    My Eris has gotten a lot snappier now that I have a routine. Every day, I run eBuddy all day on battery-saver mode.

Every day, I make sure Bloo stays opened, by opening it once every few hours (in case Android kills the task). Everything else, I just use as I go. I don't have to use a task killer on a daily basis. If I reboot the phone though, I am sure to kill ShopSavvy (that little GPS-sensor battery-sucking succubus)

Especially when I'm just doing routine things, checking IM's, texting, making calls, using Bloo, everything is very snappy.

When I'm using Remote Desktop, VNC, Network Analyzer, ES File Explorer to transfer files, PDANet and Proxoid, and others, my phone chokes a little bit more, especially if I don't kill processes with a Task Killer. In these cases, Task Killer NECESSARY to reduce lag.

I do wait 1-2 seconds after pushing the Sleep/Wake button before I try to swipe the unlock screen. Sometimes it isn't ready if I don't.

4. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Android Expert
    None

Jan 9, 2010
    Restaurant Owner and Chef
    Denver
    I think I have finally fiqured out the fastest set up for my eris.. I run sense, no task killer , I keep my wifi off unless I'm using it, and if I'm not surfing the web I keep my mobile network off.
    My phone is running extrmely fast now, and I'm getting over two days of life out of my eris. And I'm a pretty heavy music user

5. natbet

natbet Newbie
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    System Technician
    Fargo
    I don't really notice any lag and I use my phone quite a bit throughout the day. I don't use a task killer (Why bother, android has one built in that closes processes when you get to about 27MB of RAM free) and I haven't had any issues at all. What's probably causing the lag is another process on the phone taking up CPU time, not necessarily being low on memory.

6. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    My GPS shuts off as soon as I exit ShopSavvy. Yours doesn't?

7. ryan820

ryan820 Newbie
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    I get a moderate amount of lag but haven't bothered to figure who the culprit is. I use task killer occasionally but rarely see a difference. A few times I have tried rebooting the phone but that doesn't seem to do much either so I suppose it is an app somewhere making the lag. I have noticed that it lags a lot at work-- where my service is terrible. I wonder if the app that is trying to update info etc is causing the slow down because of the bad connection.

8. deno73

deno73 Member
    None

Jan 9, 2010
    machinist
    indiana
    i have a little lag... it's just disappointing because it seems like sense is most laggy thing on my eris, but i really love how it looks. do you think some of these lag problems will be updated when we get the 2.x updat sure hope so... I have quite a bit of lag, at least twice a day.

There it is again! ( 2.x ) i can't read a single thread without this being brought up.....I guess I didn't help, but it drives me bananas!!!!!

9. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    I actually posted this in another thread, but figured it might be useful here too.

Just ran through a couple of time tests on my phone. I currently have 37 third party apps installed on my phone. My available space is 59 MB and I have not cleared the cache in a few days. I have 10 widgets running on my home screens and the battery is at 58% right now. I have no task killer installed on the phone. Prior to this test the phone was asleep for a minimum of ten minutes. Also, none of these apps (except for Gmail) have been opened today.

Times are recorded using a coworker's Rolex:

Browser: 5 seconds (open and load google)
    Market: 2 seconds (open and fully load)
    Gmail: 2 seconds (open and fully load)
    Weather: 6 seconds (open and fully load)
    People: 3 seconds (open with all pictures showing)
    Albums: 5 seconds (open and all albums visible)
    Barcode Scanner: 6 seconds (open and ready to scan)
    Calendar: 2 seconds (open to full month view)
    Camera: 5 seconds (open and ready to take picture)
    Google Maps: 7 seconds (open and found my location)
    Gtalk: 3 seconds (open and ready to chat)
    Key Ring: 3 seconds (open and ready to find card)
    Music (app not widget): 2.5 seconds (open and ready to play)
    Peep: 5 seconds (open and account loaded)
    Settings: 2 seconds (open and ready)
    Manage applications: 67 seconds (open w/ all icons and memory showing)

This is all 100% acceptable to me (obvious exception of manage apps taking over a minute, but what can you do). This is also the reason that I say that I don't have an issue with lag. My phone runs just fine.

pjwren13 and ChiTownJim like this.
  10. gruss

gruss Android Expert
    None

Feb 16, 2010
    IT
    Toledoish
    I would have said a little but wound up saying none because once I got used to the keyboard and turned off haptic the lag I noticed was gone. I mean it isnt the fasted thing I ever used but it doesn't "lag". No task killers, every few days I reboot the thing just to reset the awake timer so I can catch any misbehaving apps and get rid of them.

11. pkopalek

pkopalek Android Expert
    None

Dec 19, 2009
    Computer Technician / Systems Implementation Manag
    Buffalo, NY
    Upon starting up my phone. Not when using the app.

12. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Jan 7, 2010
    I'm in rural Maine right now and in an area where the signal is so weak that it's switching from showing a signal to no signal to a signal and on and on and on. And I can tell you, the lag with the phone trying to do anything (with a strong WiFi connection) is incredibly bad, to the point of being completely unusable.

13. LiverpoolsNo9

LiverpoolsNo9 Android Enthusiast
    None

I had a little lag under 1.5, but since 2.1 I've been pretty much lag free. When I was installing back my apps one after another I did experience some lag but it was very temporary.

14. thecoard

thecoard Member
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    None at all :) I heart you 2.1

15. dredayholiday

dredayholiday Newbie
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    ive been experiencing a lot of lag on my Samsung behold 2 and after reading this I tried deleting cache from any apps that had any to delete and my phone keyboard is running a lot better in landscape than before...it does lag some though which is quite annoying. ..I feel like i cant type as fast as I'm capable of...Im using better keyboard but maybe I should try a different one? Swype doesn't appeal to me, i like pressing the keys.

16. fliptwister

fliptwister Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 25, 2010
    My wife and I both recently got the Eris. I have very little lag with 2.1. While the phone with 2.1 still seams slow to me when opening apps, switching screens, etc. there is not what I would call lag. My wife's Eris is on 1.5 and it has lots of lag. She is very frustrated with the phone. Her issue with lag is related to dialer and typing text. She has tried my phone with 2.1 and is amazed at how much better it is. She is unwilling to put 2.1 on her phone and is ready to return phone. I told her about Incredible last night and it sounds like this is route she is going. I might as well. The Incredible release is within our 30 day period.

17. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Jan 7, 2010
    Honestly, if I were in that situation, I would do the same. I went with the Eris over the Droid because I didn't like the Droid at all - too big, too heavy, especially too thick, and I hated the keyboard. If I were within 30 days, I would switch to the Incredible, definitely, even without having seen it or tried it.

18. pjwren13

pjwren13 Member
    None

Dec 12, 2009
    Chemical Operator
    Aiken, SC
    My Eris has a little lag mostly when my free ram gets close to 30. From what i have found out it is generally not the Market apps I have running in the background ( I'm pretty good at exiting them when I'm done) but apps I don't use opening in the background. Apps like footprints, stocks and peep. They run in the background and are not idle like others. These are the biggest users of free ram that I don't ever open or use. Any ideas?

19. Papadroid

Papadroid Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    That's one of the main reasons I wish I had rooted before going to the leak. The ability to uninstall the stock apps that I don't use yet still run and take up space.