• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Got mine, returned it...

Roll-Tide

Android Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2010
a little background....had the DX1, sold it and got the iPhone when it came out...had an upgrade on my account so I got the Fascinate, returned it and went back to the iPhone...got the Incredible2 when it came out, returned it and went back to the iPhone...got the DX2 yesterday, returned it and went back to the iPhone...

DX1 - sent sms messages to the wrong contacts (not acceptable)
Fascinate - not bad, just wasn't worth wasting an upgrade on
Incredible2 - loved it, until the ear-piece speaker blew and sounded like crap (quality?)
DX2 - choppy when scrolling, ghosting effect with icons when sliding screens, various other small things that added up to me just not liking it at all

bottom line is I like android and have had many many android phones (more than what is listed here)...but after having the iPhone and iOS, android still feels like it's in beta testing and not quite finished or ready for public use. I am not an apple "fanboy" by any means...you can see I've tried going back to android and honestly it feels like an inferior product to me now.

just thought I'd share my experience in case someone (like me) is throwing around the idea of switching.

All below is IMHO, obviously... :)

iPhone still beats Android overall for a very smooth UI/interface...if that's a top priority, then iPhone is the way to go.

iPhone lacks in areas including stock (unrooted) customization capabilities (choosing what IM app, keyboard, browser I want to use), swype and swype-like keyboards, built in voice nav, home-screen customization & widgets, and flash support.

My wife just chose between iPhone and Android, and went w/Android for the above reasons, one of her best friends went w/iPhone for the above reasons. Personal choices, both were right. :)

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Well... there is no perfect phone so everyone that tries a Droid X2 dont have to like it.

Like there are ppl that left the iPhone for Android and are happy, there are ppl that left Android for the iPhone and are happy.

There are ppl that left the Incredible for the Droid X and are happy, and ppl that left the Droid X for the Incredible and are happy.

Same for ppl leaving the Droid X for the Fascinate and vice versa.

I wouldnt go as far as to say Android still feels like it's in beta testing and not quite finished or ready for public use. My girlfriend, who had a Blackberry, begs to differ...she wont give me back my Droid X...she had it for going on 3 weeks now....me coming from the old Win Mo (had the Omnia 1 in 2008), I would have to disagree too.

But, to each his own...

Upvote 0
All below is IMHO, obviously... :)

iPhone still beats Android overall for a very smooth UI/interface...if that's a top priority, then iPhone is the way to go.

iPhone lacks in areas including stock (unrooted) customization capabilities (choosing what IM app, keyboard, browser I want to use), swype and swype-like keyboards, built in voice nav, home-screen customization & widgets, and flash support.

My wife just chose between iPhone and Android, and went w/Android for the above reasons, one of her best friends went w/iPhone for the above reasons. Personal choices, both were right. :)

Tech savvy ladies are a rare thing. Tech savvy ladies that also cook- even more rare.

Upvote 0
Well... there is no perfect phone so everyone that tries a Droid X2 dont have to like it.

Like there are ppl that left the iPhone for Android and are happy, there are ppl that left Android for the iPhone and are happy.

There are ppl that left the Incredible for the Droid X and are happy, and ppl that left the Droid X for the Incredible and are happy.

Same for ppl leaving the Droid X for the Fascinate and vice versa.

I wouldnt go as far as to say Android still feels like it's in beta testing and not quite finished or ready for public use. My girlfriend, who had a Blackberry, begs to differ...she wont give me back my Droid X...she had it for going on 3 weeks now....me coming from the old Win Mo (had the Omnia 1 in 2008), I would have to disagree too.

But, to each his own...

Were it not for Flash and the more tech savvy folks, Android would be a far distant second to Apple. If Apple ever feels threatened by Android, they will allow Flash on their devices. Game over then.

Google should thank Apple for being so stubborn and being grudge holders. Hubris is a beeuuuch!

Upvote 0
Tech savvy ladies are a rare thing. Tech savvy ladies that also cook- even more rare.

LOL...I got lucky.

- Certified scuba diver
- Enough "geek" in her to appreciate Android (pretty much hasn't put the phone down since she got it on the weekend)
- Cooks like a trained chef....can walk into a kitchen and create something great from whatever is on-hand
- Career woman, actually brings in a little more than I do
- Still weighs in within about 5lbs of what she did when we were married quite a few moons ago - no thunder thighs!

Me = fat, dumb, and happy. ;-)

Upvote 0
Using iDevice is like living in Apple empire. The mindset of apple lovers is just insane.

Android does a lot more things than iPhone, not just flash. The only thing iPhone got over Android is UI smoothness and total number of apps. But even that will change with Ice Cream supporting hardware acceleration. For now, android needs dual core power, big RAM to come close to UI smoothness of iPhone. UI smoothness of SGSII, Sensation is very close to iPhone4 if not better.

Upvote 0
Android does a lot more things than iPhone, not just flash. The only thing iPhone got over Android is UI smoothness and total number of apps.

Examples?

Widgets? Don't use em anyway...notifications system? Maybe, but not missing that either...google maps navigation? Sure, but as with most other things, there's an app for that.

Upvote 0
I used an hood touch extensively before moving to a smart phone and personally I could not stand iOS. The notification system was way to intrusive and having to use a PC/MAC to activate a phone feels very counter intuitive.

I am also a big fan of customization. I don't need to root or so custom rims but let me have widgets and choose between different keyboards, media players(though the apple one is excellent) etc...

The other big factor was of course AT&T had horrible coverage in my area. Even if they didn't I would not have bought an iPhone after my previous iOS experiences.

Android is no longer an OS only for tech geeks. 400,000 activations a day pretty clearly shows the general public is buying them as well. I have a good friend who is about as non techie as you could get who was upset her work moved them from a HTC Evolution to an iPhone because she couldn't do widgets among other things on the iPhone 4.

Personally it is each to their own and competition is good for us. I don't think google,apple or Microsoft would be working as hard at innovating if there wasn't fierce competition.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
LOL...I got lucky.

- Certified scuba diver
- Enough "geek" in her to appreciate Android (pretty much hasn't put the phone down since she got it on the weekend)
- Cooks like a trained chef....can walk into a kitchen and create something great from whatever is on-hand
- Career woman, actually brings in a little more than I do
- Still weighs in within about 5lbs of what she did when we were married quite a few moons ago - no thunder thighs!

Me = fat, dumb, and happy. ;-)

:( The bottom two are ditto for me, but I still feel like Al Bundy :(

Sad face sandwich.

Upvote 0
I am more disturbed that I am leaning more into the OP's thinking of returning it. Some much to luv, but some key issues are starting to ruin my impressions.

Hoping I get some solutions that have nothing to do with returning it, because there is a lot of nice stuff with the DX2.

That's probably my biggest complaint of all...always waiting for the next update to make things all better. Waiting for froyo, finally get it then this/that/the other thing is acting goofy...waiting for 2.2.1 for little bug fixes. Now it's gingerbread...when gingerbread finally gets here, everything will be amazing again...until some little quirky crap happens then everyones gonna be waiting for 2.3.1 or whatever the next version is to fix THOSE bugs. It's a aggravating process.

Upvote 0
Isn't one of the biggest reasons the iphone doesn't have flash is to preserve battery life? Flash can chew through battery faster. Beyond that, iphones are smallish screens. I can't stand the UI and I REALLY like to customize my phone. Plus the general snooty attitude of iphone types is quite annoying and I ain't jumping onto that bandwagon. Very happy with android overall, don't ever see myself jumping ship. That being said, if someone wants the stability out of the box, iphone is better. Just realize you are sacrificing several things for that stability.

Upvote 0
That's probably my biggest complaint of all...always waiting for the next update to make things all better. Waiting for froyo, finally get it then this/that/the other thing is acting goofy...waiting for 2.2.1 for little bug fixes. Now it's gingerbread...when gingerbread finally gets here, everything will be amazing again...until some little quirky crap happens then everyones gonna be waiting for 2.3.1 or whatever the next version is to fix THOSE bugs. It's a aggravating process.

I am hoping I see some solutions, since really want to keep it. My perspective is due to the tight 14 day return window.

Upvote 0

You need to realize that about 90% of android phone users don't care about the OS upgrade or don't even know what version is in their phone. Only android techies like us are complaing on it and most vocal on it. To most others, it's like different iPhone not made by apple.

Upvote 0
You need to realize that about 90% of android phone users don't care about the OS upgrade or don't even know what version is in their phone. Only android techies like us are complaing on it and most vocal on it. To most others, it's like different iPhone not made by apple.

true...they don't know any better. these are the people that I work with and ask my every day "why is my phone doing this?"

Upvote 0
I am seriously considering returning mine as well.I have never returned a phone,ever.The audio skipping,and popping is unacceptable in a device of this caliber.I use my music player every day.My DX never did anything like this.Im really dissapointed in Motorola...also the internal storage baffles me,Im almost out of app room,and ive installed only a few apps! Bloatware is out of control...Im not rooting it until I know im keeping it....right now Im just not feeling the love...I guess I expected too much,with same processor,and more ram,I thought it would be close to being as fast as my gtablet,and its not even close....its sluggish at times,for no reason,sometimes if flies,5 minutes later,it lags...Had it 2 fulls days,done 2 factory resets,and activations,without root,its a slow process,not having a known good backup to go to....

Upvote 0
I am seriously considering returning mine as well.I have never returned a phone,ever.The audio skipping,and popping is unacceptable in a device of this caliber.I use my music player every day.My DX never did anything like this.Im really dissapointed in Motorola...also the internal storage baffles me,Im almost out of app room,and ive installed only a few apps! Bloatware is out of control...Im not rooting it until I know im keeping it....right now Im just not feeling the love...I guess I expected too much,with same processor,and more ram,I thought it would be close to being as fast as my gtablet,and its not even close....its sluggish at times,for no reason,sometimes if flies,5 minutes later,it lags...Had it 2 fulls days,done 2 factory resets,and activations,without root,its a slow process,not having a known good backup to go to....

If I had a longer return window, I would deal with it and see if any fixes come our way, but less than two weeks now to deal with (for me):

1. Sound pops, cracks and skips that get REALLY bad if try to multitask while playing tunes. My Inc has no issues like this and neither does my gTablet that has the same chipset as the DX2.

2. The device heats up sometimes to 113 degrees, which for a phone with no way to dissipate heat, is too hot. The 45nm Tegra 2 should run cooler than the 65nm 8650 in my Incredible- not hotter. Something is not right.

3. My Incredible has no problem linking to non-mobile Flash sites, but regardless of the browser I use, almost all Flash sites (except Youtube) are mobile versions. I can NOT figure it out why. It worked for a few hours yesterday, but back to mobile sites.

3. Though trivial, the signal bars are on crack and do not correlate to the signal. The bars can show four bars, even at 96dbm

4. Some of my favorite games will not install, such as Air Attack 3D and Meteor Blitz will not install. There is a workaround for other games that do not like the way the DX2 is mapped for sdcard, but some games will not install.

30 day window would make the decision easier to wait.

Upvote 0
Considering returning mine now as well...so frustrating! Waited six months for what I thought was a good phone...I may jump ship to Apple...I shudder at the thought...but this is the second Android device that has caused me fits!

The constant lag during video recording is ridiculous!

Half of the games lag during play...I thought this device was dual core??!?

Overall device lags after being on for a while, shouldn't have to turn phone off two or three times a day to get the phone to work properly...

Upvote 0
I will decide in a few more days,I dont want it more than a week if its going back....get it over with...I thought the tegra 2 would give me snappy performance like the gtab,but thats not the case,motoblur or something has bogged it down...Im not sure I want to wait months for a fix that may never come.IMO,there is room for a phone manufacturer who uses hardware,radios and build quality of motorola,with an open bootloader,real software,and R&D dept....no way anyone at moto would have released this phone with the audio issues,I dont think they even tested it....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones