1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Got mine today

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hawkeye, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    Got a call from the nice man at Phones4U today to confirm that they'd just got some in stock. Amazingly, I got it for free on upgrade, on just a

Advertisement

david83 likes this.
  2. chippy1970

chippy1970 Newbie
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Damn I knew I should have gone in phoes 4 u today, I went in there yesterday as they said it would 100% be in stock Friday but nothing . They said come back Saturday we will definately have it I passed by the shop but couldnt be bothered to go in and get told no we dont have it yet.

What sort of deal did you get for

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    It was a direct upgrade on Orange, handset only, so my tariff remained the same as for the last eighteen months (the current equivalent tariff isn't as good).
    I get 200 mins, unlimited texts and the usual 500 meg data allowance.

4. chippy1970

chippy1970 Newbie
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Oh so im getting a good deal then with 600 minutes and vodafone passport i think its a 24 month contract though

5. Slacker.uk

Slacker.uk Lurker
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    Would you please report on the battery.

6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    Yeah, I would have got a better deal on 24 months too but I think it's too long a contract length when you consider the pace of mobile technology at the moment.

As for battery, that will take a day or two, and it'll go down quite fast I expect as I download all the games that wouldn't work on my Hero, try out Live wallpapers and generally see what the phone can do.

Down from 100% at 8am this morning to 90% now (1.5 hours later) but I've had 15 mins on angry birds and tank hero, as well as playing with some of the available ringtones on the HTC hub and downloading Dungeon Defenders over wifi.

7. Slacker.uk

Slacker.uk Lurker
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks, could you re post regarding battery life after you have used it for 3-4 days please. Looking at replacing my iphone 3G this week.

8. david83

david83 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 1, 2009
    crime scene person
    UK
    How much of a step up does it feel from the Hero? I like the look and specs of this handset but I'm bored of Sense on my Hero and this doesnt look that much different.

9. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Android Expert
    None

Yeah, I'm supposed to receive mine today but looking at Play.com it still says they're packing it but it said that yesterday too, not sure how long it takes to pack a little box into a van :D

10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    For me it feels quite a step up as everything is so snappy and responsive. My hero had got to the point where opening Handcent or even the phone application could take upwards of five seconds. The camera took about 5-6 seconds to open, and then taking a picture took another 5-6 seconds, with the shutter sound coming in a second or two before the picture was taken.

In contrast the Desire S takes a second to open the app, and another second or less to take the picture. The pictures themselves are a huge improvement, and of course now you've got HD Video to play with too.

I'm also enjoying being able to play some of the newer games, Tank Hero, Tower Raiders 2 etc. but for some reason Dungeon Defenders won't get past the splash screen. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has this problem...

Unplugged at 6:30 this morning and still at 74% battery, with fairly light use as I'm at work, although I've got the aquarium live wallpaper running. I'll try with a black/blank wallpaper tomorrow to see if there's a difference.

It's still Sense though, with a few tweaks. Not sure if you need to be rooted to try a different home app, but I'm happy with stock for a while yet.

11. chippy1970

chippy1970 Newbie
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Hawkeye , what colour did yours come in is it the black or the grey. I had seen comments on the net where the colour is wearing off the phones already :eek:

Im waiting for Vodafone to get back to me spoke to a guy in upgrades today I can pre order but it will be

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    Black, no sign of colour coming off yet

13. gram333

gram333 Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    mine was delivered yesterday, but i wasnt in to sign for it!! DAM! Ordered sim free misprice from ebuyer and stated thursday delivery coz i work from home, but they were too good and tried to deliver yesterday! Very keen to see how it compares to my very tired iphone 3g.

I decided just to buy a sim free one rather than committing to a new contract just yet... if i dont get on with it im out of contract with orange so could negotiate an upgrade easily, and im only

14. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    Quick battery report - first day was light to moderate use, with the Aquarium live wallpaper running. Battery was still 29% at bedtime.
    Yesterday I switched the wallpaper to a near black background, battery was 40% at bedtime after a half hour gaming on Tower Raiders 2.

Slacker.uk likes this.
  15. boxingbantz

boxingbantz Lurker
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    Had mine for two days, my first HTC phone.

Love the phone. Had to do a bit of tweaking to stop it leaking data but that's all sorted now. Battery life isn't great but that's the way smartphones are nowadays I guess.

I would never go back to a Blackberry after using Android/HTC.

16. chippy1970

chippy1970 Newbie
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Mines being delivered tomorrow and Vodafone bumped my 500meg up to 1gb.

Ordered 2 htc screen protectors off ebay last night too hopefully they will be here tomorrow as well. When the case mate tough comes out for Desire s I think I will get one of those.

17. chippy1970

chippy1970 Newbie
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Got it woo hoo :) still playing with it bit of an upgrade from a Nokia 5800 lol.

Can I recommend a screen protector for anyone who gets one I got the official HTC ones , 2 in a packet off eBay only

Hawkeye likes this.
  18. Lefthand

Lefthand Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 27, 2009
    Male
    UK
    stop press! Carphone Warehouse are doing it for

19. gram333

gram333 Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    Picked my desire up yesterday! woo cracking phone... soooo speedy! Its become fun again to browse net and email, etc on my phone! Although I do feel like im going to drop it when out and about, im far too clumsy...

Working on setting it up properly now... Not that android is hard to use, its just everything is in menus i have no idea where to browse!! But there is soooo much built into gingerbread its unbelievable, i had numerous stupid plugins on ios doing half the work.

Need to stop it accessing the net soo much! wonder if its the widgets on my homepage, but its always uploading/downloading.

20. juno106

juno106 Lurker
    None

Apr 8, 2011
    Got mine on Saturday from phones 4 u. Wandered in , still had 4 months left on my 3 contract and came out of the shop with

21. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    Try updating dungeon defenders, mine works now.
    Still loving the phone, but the problem now is that I'm using more of the features, playing things like Tower raiders and angry birds, and so draining the battery quite fast!

22. Slacker.uk

Slacker.uk Lurker
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    Right ordered mine from o2, should get it by Tuesday, will be a nice upgrade from my iphone 3g.

23. Lefthand

Lefthand Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 27, 2009
    Male
    UK
    Just got it today from Carphone warehouse and what can I say, I LOVE IT!!! After moving on from the Hero, it's a huge leap forward. I'm blown away by the sheer speed of the thing. I've read some reviews raising concerns about having to compete with dual core handsets coming out soon but I just can't see how it could be any faster! Even surfing on 3g is almost instant, probably faster than my PC lol!
    Will keep posting on progress using it and first impressions, but so far it's brilliant!

Slacker.uk likes this.
  24. pjallen

pjallen Lurker
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Received phone last Tuesday, and whilst very happy, need to stop it using so much data. Phone seems to constantly sending/receiving.
    Had a look round forum and whilst numerous reports of data leakage on Desire S /Desire, cant find any tips on stopping it.
    Downloaded 3g Watchdog, but that just confirms data is being sent/received.
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

25. ben_pyett

ben_pyett Member
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Wivenhoe, Essex, UK

I'd suggest that you check what you are Sync'ing as a first step and how regulary

(In Settings-> Accounts & Sync)

Also consider that on screen widgets will need data, although again there settings should be determined from above.

Tags: