• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
My Evo arrived yesterday (actually, two of them) and I'm loving it already! The reason I got two is that I ordered one for $199 a couple of days before it went on sale for $149. Naturally, I'm sending the first one back (and if you think my 45 minute conversation with "Oscar" about returning the unactivated phone--NOT the one in use--was fun, you would be wrong :D )

I must live in a good coverage area because the 4G is noticeably faster than 3G on my old MT. I was downloading apps left and right and barely had time to add the icons to my home screen before the next one finished. Wow.

Does anyone else think that the touch screen in super sensitive? Or am I just ham-handed? Also not crazy about the keyboard: I have a much harder time typing with it than with the Triumph, for some reason. I also don't like having to hold a key to get punctuation. Might try downloading a different keyboard and see how I like it.

But those are just minor quibbles. Overall, I really like the phone.

Still on software version 1.13. Hope to get the update soon. I sent one text and made no phone calls, so can't report whether I'm getting the radio error.

I'll probably install the battery saver program (whose name I forgot...) that worked so well on my Triumph, but I want to try it without for a few days to see what battery life is like. I get no signal at all where I work so I generally put it in Airplane Mode during the day.

3D camera? Meh, I'll probably try it once, but I don't see myself really using it.

Anyone know if there's a quick way to put the Evo in silent mode without messing with the volume keys? And to do a screenshot, is it power/volume down?

So. Anyone want a gently used Triumph? :D I unrooted it...

Congrats on the evo v,..should be a sound widget you can put on the home screen,..if you hold down the home Button it brings up a recents page view...the touch screen seems alright for my use...

Id recommend a laza 3460 battery, I have a topic on that, and for a case with the normal battery get a trident kraken from amazon, for the extended battery eBay has a better back case and protector

Upvote 0
When I first started using the evo, i thought the screen was super sensitive too. I've actually hovered my finger above an icon on the home screen, and sometimes i can get it to open the app without even touching the screen. You'll get used to it over time though, it hasn't bothered me at all lately.

I also dislike the htc stock keyboard. I installed swype since I'm more familiar with that. There are a lot of keyboards out there, you should definitely give them a try; no need to stick with stock keyboard.

I think there's an HTC Sense widget that toggles between silent mode and sound? I stopped using the HTC Sense launcher a long time ago so I'm not too sure. There's a lot of widgets available though.

I think you can also try manually checking for the OTA update, somewhere in settings. I'm running the Harmonia rom, so OTA isn't available to me.

Upvote 0
For the battery app I recommend Juice Defender and I have been using the SwiftKey keyboard since my Triumph days, highly recommend it. Enjoy your new phone, it's a tremendous step up from the Triumph and g60madman just came over from the Triumph so hopefully good things will be happening from that direction. You can try getting the ota manually by going to settings-system updates - htc software updates and see if that helps.

Upvote 0
Congrats on the evo v,..should be a sound widget you can put on the home screen,..if you hold down the home Button it brings up a recents page view...the touch screen seems alright for my use...

Id recommend a laza 3460 battery, I have a topic on that, and for a case with the normal battery get a trident kraken from amazon, for the extended battery eBay has a better back case and protector

I'm getting my Evo V on Sunday, thinking about ordering that battery you mentioned now, so I'll have it reasonably soon. Would you mind recommending a car mount, if you know of a good one? I'm concerned about whether the added bulk will interfere with the HTC mount.

Upvote 0
I'm getting my Evo V on Sunday, thinking about ordering that battery you mentioned now, so I'll have it reasonably soon. Would you mind recommending a car mount, if you know of a good one? I'm concerned about whether the added bulk will interfere with the HTC mount.

EBay has universal mounts, I found this as an example
yqutujad.jpg

The laza battery has been good to me so far

Upvote 0
here are some battery tips
If you want some tips here:

1) Go to settings<Display<Brightness and lower it to 40%.

2) Turn off wifi, bluettoth, mobile network (3g), and 4g unless you need one of them...

3) Download this app here: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=fast+reboot.. after you are done playing or using an app load fast reboot plus before you turn off your phone too....

4) Download this app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=factory.widgets.SenseClock&feature=sear ch_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImZhY3Rvcnkud2lkZ2V0c y5TZW5zZUNsb2NrIl0 this is an "htc" clock for your home screen (can be found through personalize< widget< you shoul see the widget there) This clock will use a lot less battery than the one they give you and set up to only show time and system info....and phione temp

5) Using your clock widget you should see your phone temp... if it rises above 85 degrees fareinheight then let your phone rest on sleep for a little... After it hits 90 degress your phone starts burning battery crazily.

6) Also in the system info there is an ram and available ram showing.. the AR should be close to the total ram EX 500 m.b of ram available if it drops below 300 then hit that fast reboot app.

Hope this helps...

Upvote 0
6) Also in the system info there is an ram and available ram showing.. the AR should be close to the total ram EX 500 m.b of ram available if it drops below 300 then hit that fast reboot app.

Hope this helps...

Just a suggestion. The amount of ram being occupied doesn't affect battery life. This is the same argument with all task managers being bad for your phone and stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones