1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root got my phone rooted by an AT&T tech

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kk13, Feb 19, 2011.

1. kk13

kk13 Newbie
    None

Aug 27, 2010
    Male
    journeyman electrician
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Two days ago my stock captivate took a s### and I had it replaced that day at an AT&T support store. I asked if I was going to get a 2.2 ,or 2.3 OS in the new phone and the tech said he would see what he could do about getting a 2.2 in it for me. When he said that, I half jokingly said, why don't you just root it for me while you're in there transferring the data? When he emerged from a back room he gave me my phone and told me he couldn't get me a 2.2 phone but that he did root it for me. And showed me the Superuser app, Titanium Backup, and XDA. How cool is that. So I got rid of the bloatware with his help right then. Now I'm ready to learn more and make some long overdue changes to this phone.I just need to decide what to do first and read up, and watch some videos. kk13

Advertisement

2. PhoneMatt

PhoneMatt Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Male
    Atlanta, GA
    I went into one of our local stores a week ago, just to ask about the 2.2 update. I was surprised to learn that one of the techs at the store had rooted all of the employees phones and put Froyo on them. I'm not sure if he used the AT&T ROM (whatever that may be), so that the employees could be beta testers, or used a custom ROM. No one there had the answer to that, and I'm not quite rude enough to ask if I could thumb through the settings on their phones to see. (But, damn, I wanted to.)

3. Rootmepls

Rootmepls Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    NorCal
    Techs are pretty cool. One showed me how to get apps on my phone that At&t blocks. Turn off WiFi>Turn on Flight Mode>Turn on WiFi> and you should be able to access restricted apps on the market after that. It turns off your SIM card and market doesn't know what network you are using. Useful if you want to install some type of Wireless Tether app or other restricted apps.

msueagles2010 likes this.
  4. msueagles2010

msueagles2010 Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Xenia, OH
    I wish the techs around me were that cool... Everyone I've asked about the update just steers the conversation towards trying to sell me a case (I HAVE ONE, DAMNIT!), or UVerse.

5. Rootmepls

Rootmepls Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    NorCal
    Actually he was a sales person not technically a tech from the back room or anything. But still had a few tricks I wasn't aware of. The day I bought it the guy was talking about rooting a friends Cappy for him. Probably because I was coming from the iPhone and we started talking about Jailbreaking. Took me about 3 days to find out I wasn't on the current firmware. Waited another week after that and researched the process then took the plunge. Its a pretty cool phone no matter what but I just like the newest firmware I can get running.