• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Got my shipment notification!

ODog2323, I see that you are in the U.S. and I really hope you can help me out. I'm also in the U.S. and I ordered an international unlocked Note 2 (not sure what version it is). This is my first time buying an international unlocked phone and I'm kind of nervous. So it will really help me if you tell me why you also went for the international version instead of waiting for the carriers and if not having 3G/4G capabilities will bother you at all. Also, is there a specific version I should have ordered? Which one did you get? I would really appreciate it if anyone in the U.S. would take some time to answer these questions. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Yeah I came from the 4.3 inch 3vo to the 5.3 inch Note and it took a little getting used to, but I doubt I'll ever go back to a 4.whatever inch screen now. It's just so handy.

So crazy how there are quite a few og evo owners that jumped on the note 1 and are now clamoring for the note 2. What i find even more hilarious is many bloggers, prior to the evo release, said it was too big. I guess it's not, anymore... lol

Upvote 0
So it will really help me if you tell me why you also went for the international version instead of waiting for the carriers and if not having 3G/4G capabilities will bother you at all.
I'm not ODog2323, but I'll take a shot at this. I plan on buying the international version because I go to S. Korea once a year for the entire summer, and I would like to be able to use it there. (The international version has 3G -- not sure why you're saying that it doesn't.) I don't care about LTE, because I know that the frequency bands are different in S. Korea vs. the US.

I can't buy one now because I would like to get the 64GB titanium gray, and who knows when that will be released. :(

Reactions: scarlettsweb13
Upvote 0
I'm not ODog2323, but I'll take a shot at this. I plan on buying the international version because I go to S. Korea once a year for the entire summer, and I would like to be able to use it there. (The international version has 3G -- not sure why you're saying that it doesn't.) I don't care about LTE, because I know that the frequency bands are different in S. Korea vs. the US.

I can't buy one now because I would like to get the 64GB titanium gray, and who knows when that will be released. :(

Thank you so much for responding! I meant to say that the international version will not have 3G/4G on T-Mobile; maybe AT&T, right? I want to be able to use the phone in other countries also specifically India if I go there next summer and the area I'll go to does not have 4G yet; I doubt they even have wi-fi unfortunately. I am a very light data user because I mostly use wi-fi and only check my mail or do a few searches otherwise so not having 3G/4G should be fine, but I was just nervous because this is my first time buying a non-T-mobile phone and I have been getting mixed feedback so I truly appreciate your response.

Also, I'm not a techie or anything so maybe I'm clueless here; but why do phones that have a micro SD card slot sell in different GB's? I mean, if you get the 16 GB phone, couldn't you just put in a 32 GB micro sd and have almost 48 GB storage? I apologize if it seems like a stupid question, but this truly does confuse me. I guess there has to be a logical answer otherwise Samsung would not be selling their phones this way. :)

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for responding! I meant to say that the international version will not have 3G/4G on T-Mobile; maybe AT&T, right?
I see. I use Straight Talk, which uses the AT&T network, if I understand correctly. So when I had the unlocked version of the iPhone 4S I was able to get 3G in both the US and in S. Korea.

Also, I'm not a techie or anything so maybe I'm clueless here; but why do phones that have a micro SD card slot sell in different GB's? I mean, if you get the 16 GB phone, couldn't you just put in a 32 GB micro sd and have almost 48 GB storage? I apologize if it seems like a stupid question, but this truly does confuse me. I guess there has to be a logical answer otherwise Samsung would not be selling their phones this way. :)
Having different sizes and a micro SD slot gives us flexibility. Personally I want to get the 64gb titanium gray and a 64gb micro SD card so that I can have a total of 128gb of storage. I will primarily listen to music and watch videos on the GN2, so I will need the storage space.

Upvote 0
ODog2323, I see that you are in the U.S. and I really hope you can help me out. I'm also in the U.S. and I ordered an international unlocked Note 2 (not sure what version it is). This is my first time buying an international unlocked phone and I'm kind of nervous. So it will really help me if you tell me why you also went for the international version instead of waiting for the carriers and if not having 3G/4G capabilities will bother you at all. Also, is there a specific version I should have ordered? Which one did you get? I would really appreciate it if anyone in the U.S. would take some time to answer these questions. Thank you!

Sorry for the delay! I went with the international model for a few reasons...some bigger than others...

Even though I payed more r the phone up front, I'm not tied into a contract
Getting an unbranded unlocked model means you avoid getting a phone loaded with bloatware that carriers cram down your throat.
I'm still willing to trade LTE for battery life. It looks like the current gen LTE devices and services are improving quickly, but LTE doesn't seem like a must have feature yet. Think back to when HD TV started to take off...yea its awesome, but I don't need it it yet, and certainly not at the expense of something like battery life.
I do get 3G HSPA+ on AT&T, which is perfectly serviceable in my area.

I got the N7100. Some sites also refer to that one as "Sim free"

Can you share any info from whatever order confirmation you have to help us see which version you're getting?

Hope this helps!

Reactions: scarlettsweb13
Upvote 0

Not everybody one needs 128gb storage. 16gb and 64gb Micro SD is more than enough for me. Thats a lot of space. How many watched movies do you need on your phone at the same time?! I did well with a 16gb iPhone 4S never felt space restricted and you couldnt even expand that.

Most game Apps once finished I just deleted and got new ones, same when the albums got full. Even with 128gb eventually you'll fill it and need to do the same.

I'm also for the first time really going to utilise cloud storage for this phone something i never really took advantage of before, this will be for pics and videos taken on it, even more free space. Even considering spotify.

Unless your really going out to fill it, for the average person who uses their phone as a gaming, music device 16gb with 64gb extra will do you fine IMO. That's a lot of space man lol

Upvote 0
Not everybody one needs 128gb storage. 16gb and 64gb Micro SD is more than enough for me. Thats a lot of space. How many watched movies do you need on your phone at the same time?! I did well with a 16gb iPhone 4S never felt space restricted and you couldnt even expand that.

Most game Apps once finished I just deleted and got new ones, same when the albums got full. Even with 128gb eventually you'll fill it and need to do the same.

I'm also for the first time really going to utilise cloud storage for this phone something i never really took advantage of before, this will be for pics and videos taken on it, even more free space. Even considering spotify.

Unless your really going out to fill it, for the average person who uses their phone as a gaming, music device 16gb with 64gb extra will do you fine IMO. That's a lot of space man lol

It's not enough for me.

For apps like Flixster, the downloaded movies won't work unless they are on the internal storage. For most phones that have both internal storage, the total 16gb doesn't translate to 16gb of available space. It is usually partitioned a certain way, depending on the manufacturer. Just for example, the Motorola Photon is partitioned with 3gb (dedicated to apps), 8.92gb (available internal storage), and the remainder is not accessible (without rooting) for whatever bloatware/software is on the phone. So, that being said, I have the entire 8.92gb filled up almost to the max with 5 movies.

Now, considering what I do for a living, I also have 56gb filled up of my 59gb available on my microSD card (64gb is never truly available). And, that's withholding other content that should be saved on my phone, but I can't because I also use the phone for personal and work.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay! I went with the international model for a few reasons...some bigger than others...

Even though I payed more r the phone up front, I'm not tied into a contract
Getting an unbranded unlocked model means you avoid getting a phone loaded with bloatware that carriers cram down your throat.
I'm still willing to trade LTE for battery life. It looks like the current gen LTE devices and services are improving quickly, but LTE doesn't seem like a must have feature yet. Think back to when HD TV started to take off...yea its awesome, but I don't need it it yet, and certainly not at the expense of something like battery life.
I do get 3G HSPA+ on AT&T, which is perfectly serviceable in my area.

I got the N7100. Some sites also refer to that one as "Sim free"

Can you share any info from whatever order confirmation you have to help us see which version you're getting?

Hope this helps!

If on verizon LTE is MUST have IMHO

Upvote 0
I see. I use Straight Talk, which uses the AT&T network, if I understand correctly. So when I had the unlocked version of the iPhone 4S I was able to get 3G in both the US and in S. Korea.
Having different sizes and a micro SD slot gives us flexibility. Personally I want to get the 64gb titanium gray and a 64gb micro SD card so that I can have a total of 128gb of storage. I will primarily listen to music and watch videos on the GN2, so I will need the storage space.

Oh, okay. I'm not familiar with Straight Talk. I've always been on T-Mobile. 128 GB seems like a lot of storage for my personal needs, but I'm sure there are probably many people who would like to have that so I guess it does make sense. :)

Upvote 0

Hope this helps!

Thanks for responding! Your answer helps to ease my nervousness a lot. Although 4G speeds might be nice, it is definitely not a necessity for me because I am a very light data user. The version I ordered is also N7100, but is there another number or code I should look for? Also, what language did your phone come preset with? Thanks again! :)

Upvote 0

Oh, I ordered the 16 GB phone. I was just asking why there are different sizes because I was curious. I certainly do not need more than 16 GB on my phone, but I would still use my micro SD card because I have a lot of music/movies/photos on there. Personally, I only need a couple of GB's for music, a handful for the movies I always like to have with me, and apps take up very little space for me. However, I guess different people have different storage needs so having a choice is always great!

Upvote 0
Thanks for responding! Your answer helps to ease my nervousness a lot. Although 4G speeds might be nice, it is definitely not a necessity for me because I am a very light data user. The version I ordered is also N7100, but is there another number or code I should look for? Also, what language did your phone come preset with? Thanks again! :)

N7100 should be the only number you need to worry about.

First time I turned mine on, the very first screen asked me to choose my preferred language. Don't remember what the default option was, but it was a cinch to switch to English.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones