1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Got new Galaxy S II but i want to install fresh OS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by polish_pat, Sep 15, 2011.

1. polish_pat

polish_pat Newbie
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Hey guys, first of all, HELLO! I was until very recently an iPhone lover, but i always knew Android would beat Apple's closed policies and OS and for me this day has come with my brand new Galaxy S 2.

Basically, I am on Rogers in Canada and purchased a GS2 that is unlocked by rooting but originally on Bell. There is a bunch of crapware that i cannot use like BellTV and the intregated GPS Navigator and a bunch of other stuff. What i want is to install a fresh version of android without all the Bell Crapware. I dont know how it works for android but for iphone i could manually download an image of the OS and install it through itunes.

Do i have to install the OS from scratch or can i just use a factory reset settings to take out all the bell stuff. Also, please take into consideration that no matter what you guys suggest me, i want to keep my device unlocked.

Thank you so much for your help

Advertisement

2. geetechfever

geetechfever Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 14, 2011
    I don't think factory reset would work as those apps are preinstalled by manufacturer.
    Try to flash the phone by a custom rom, and then you can get a wanted OS and of course unlocked as well.

3. polish_pat

polish_pat Newbie
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Alright i'll research that. I've always had a jailbroken iphone, but bricking one is impossible due to its highly intelligent recovery mode. How risky is rooting and installing custom roms on an android, sorry for the newb question. Are there any very risky ways, vs safer ways?

4. NightHawk877

NightHawk877 Android Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2011
    Male
    Texas
    All you need to do is install the recovery and then a ROM such as Cognition.

5. polish_pat

polish_pat Newbie
    None

Sep 15, 2011
  6. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    You can uninstall the bloatware by using titanium backup or you can flash a rom that does not contain bloatware.