1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Got one today @ Best Buy AND they bought my EVO

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mr19, Sep 16, 2011.

1. mr19

mr19 Lurker

Picked one up today at Best Buy and they bought my Evo from me for $132. Also the salesperson was selling me on the $10/mo 2 yr insurance plan, I was able to pay 170 up front instead of the $10/mo and it can be canceled at any time with the prorated amount refunded.

Advertisement

2. Tommydaniel

Tommydaniel Android Expert

I plan on trading my Nexus S in when I get mine. According to their site they will give me $213. I double-checked on the Evo 4G online and got $132 as well so I should be golden!

3. mojo1094

mojo1094 Newbie

please, please, PLEASE understand how the extended insurance goes ... you don't get a new phone, you are not handed a new one when you walk in, they send it off to a refurbishing center, and send you a refurb phone. it only takes a few days (usually).

BUT, you don't have to pay a deposit, so that's freaking awesome. I work there as a tech so if you have any q's about them, that place, or anything, please don't hesitate to ask.

Bearly and mr19 like this.
  4. mr19

mr19 Lurker

I'm usually not a guy who buys insurance. But given I went through 2 Palm Pre's, then 2 Evo's and I have 6 kids who like to break things, $170 seemed like a good bet.

Hopefully I don't need to use it, but who knows.

5. Gavisann

Gavisann Android Enthusiast

Which site? Can you provide a link? Will they buy back an Epic?

6. M5Rahul

M5Rahul Well-Known Member

Did they credit you the $132 right away towards the new device or is it mail-in only?

Also, if anyone knows, can we trade in more than one phone in the same transaction ?

Thanks!!!

7. mr19

mr19 Lurker

It was treated as two separate transactions. So they bought my phone and gave me a $132 gift card which I was then able to use to pay for some of my phone upgrade costs.

Not sure about the multiple trade-in thing.

8. Zorachus

Zorachus Newbie

So can I go into Best Buy with my old EVO 4G and Nexus-S 4G and use those to get money against the new Epic 4G Touch ? I am out of contract so would need to pay full retail price on the Epic, but at $529 no thanks, if I can get it down to like $299 ok.

9. Tommydaniel

Yup, as far as I know there isn't a limit on the amount of trade ins.

10. VGPOP

VGPOP Android Enthusiast

This only works if you have purchased your phone at a Best Buy store. I just called one and she said it's the only way for trade-in.

Perhaps she was mistaken, but after calling about 10 Sprint stores, and Radio Shack, it's the only one to have the phone is stock right now.

Now because they have "sold out", it's because Sprint didnt even bother sending them the phone.

Extremely disappointed with Sprint and their lack of interest on this phone.

11. Tommydaniel

Not true. Certain BB's only take items bought at their store, others accept anything. If you go to the link above you can find a store that accepts items from wherever.

12. mr19

mr19 Lurker

I agree with td. They DO have some new program where you can pay them $60 ($30 if you buy their insurance) and they give you some kind of guarantee for buying it back, but they offered to buy it back without any concern for where I had bought it.

13. Tommydaniel

Just a little update. I went into a Best Buy with my Nexus S that i had purchased at Sprint and was able to trade it in and got $212 for it, which basically paid for my Epic Touch.

14. VGPOP

VGPOP Android Enthusiast

For the record, I went to a Best buy mobile kiosk at a nearby mall, and my EVO was eligible for $130 credit, but they said the same thing. I had to purchase EVO at a best buy, provide proof of purchase in a receipt or they couldve found my info other ways. I went to a Radio Shack at the same mall and my EVO was only worth $37.50 credit. I purchased phone without giving up my EVO. I'll keep it as a back up.

Now I have three smartphones:

- TMobile G1
    - EVO 4G
    - Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch.

15. Tommydaniel

NOT all stores accept trade-ins from purchases outside of BestBuy. If you use this link BestBuy.com Trade-in Center it will tell you what stores will take trades from purchases not made at Best Buy.

16. VGPOP

VGPOP Android Enthusiast

Yeah, I just read that now. So, according to that website I can still sell the phone by itself?

I'm not too familiar with selling things.

17. Tommydaniel

Yeah, they just give you a gift card. Best Buy definitely gives you the most money for your trades too.

VGPOP likes this.
  18. VGPOP

VGPOP Android Enthusiast

That's good to know.

19. Gavisann

Gavisann Android Enthusiast

WOW, i can get $106 for my Epic, but if I had a Nexus I can get $213! I guess Google to the core is worth $100 dollars by itself...

20. Tommydaniel

Well part of it is based on Release date. and the Nexus S and Nexus S 4G came out after the Epic.

21. VGPOP

VGPOP Android Enthusiast

I am out of luck. Not a single store in the Orlando area, according to website, is available. Nothing.

22. Mannequins

Mannequins Well-Known Member

...or you could just sell the evo 4g on craigslist for 250+ if in good condition. I worked at best buy and it was HARD for me to get people to buy the insurance AND the buy back program.. uugh. anything that i dont think is worth it is hard for me to sell to people.

23. Tommydaniel

In 5 months I will be able to get $350 for my E4T at Best Buy. Can gurauntee I won't get that much on craigslist by then.

24. satellitez

satellitez Well-Known Member

Can't wait to sell my (crappy) iPhone 3g to Sprint for approx. $86 :)