• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Got some questions? think they're stupid? POST 'EM HERE

I turned my phone off, and when I turned it back on, the normal "Preparing SD card" notification came up. But it's still up there two hours later, and I can't access anything on the card. And since it's not working, the phone reboots itself every few minutes to try and check it. When I take the card out, it works fine. Does anybody else know what the problem is?

Upvote 0
I have a Huawei M-860 through Metro PCS which I just upgraded to 2.2.2 I got a google music invite (cool) but when I try to download the app through the Android Market, I am getting a message saying my phone is not compatible. I contacted the Music Beta Team is the answer I recieved was that the app needs 2.2 and above with OpenGL2.0. I am really a novice when it comes to this. Any idea what the OpenGL2.0 is and how/if I can get this on my phone? Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
Ok, I have been looking around and found the A2 stock rom. Now, Since the A1 and A2 are very close to the same phone with a few modifications.

Is it possible to update the A1 with the A2 update.app???

Crickets specs on the A2 are virtually the same as the A1 just better camara and the A2 has a GPU and the A2 did away with the trackball..

If I were to use the A2 update.app would I brick my phone or would I be able to get back to either the A1 stock rom or one of the CM's??

If this is possible could someone tell me how I would go about going back from the A2 rom if I screw my phone up..

Or is this not possible??

Thanks...
Eagle..

Upvote 0
No,it's not part of the ROM.Feel free to try out other tether apps,but,this one works so well & so simply that I've never bothered too much w/any of the other ones available.

Cool I see what you're saying but isnt there suppost to be some option to tether in the actual rom settings? I've searched thru all the phone options and can't find that option anywhere on the phone.

Upvote 0
Cool I see what you're saying but isnt there suppost to be some option to tether in the actual rom settings? I've searched thru all the phone options and can't find that option anywhere on the phone.

Perhaps this is an option on an out of the box phone w/GINGERBREAD,but,for whatever reason(s),was left off of the ported versions of CM6/CM7,as this phone isn't officially supported by CYANOGEN.

My guess is space issues,or,w/the availability of many tethering apps,leave the option up to the individual as to whether they want/need tethering on their phone.I would rather have it this way myself,one less thing for the developers to worry about.
Also,w/the varying hardware from unit to unit w/this phone & varying coverage w/CRICKET & METRO PCS(especially),it's best left to the individual whether they want this on their phone.
For METRO PCS users,tethering is pointless as the 1x variety of 3G is useless for tethering,w/the exception of those lucky few who are now receiving improved 3G coverage.(Welcome & congratulations to those METRO PCS users who are finally receiving long-deserved & improved 3G coverage).

Reactions: Sleepy mike
Upvote 0
To Sleepy mike
If you're rooted, which it sounds like you are, then just get a tether app from the market. It may save you some head-ache.

Barnacle and Android Wifi Tether are both good, and seem to work fine for me.

szym.net Barnacle Wifi Tether
https://market.android.com/details?id=net.szym.barnacle

android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting
https://market.android.com/details?id=android.tether

Some cautions thou...

from 'android wifi tether'
"Warning Use this application at your own risk. It is possible that use of this program may violate your carrier's Terms of Service."

And in my opinion, tethering in general can raise red flags with your carrier and may lead to account termination for violating ToS or exceeding bandwidth.

Also, if your on m-pcs, their 3G (really its old-school 1x) only provides for 1mbps and typically even less (tethering slows it down slightly more). I have done a few internet speed tests on this to verify.

Over-all, not really worth it unless you have fast phone internet, but it is nice to have the option of wifi for emergencies.

Peace, Yo! From:JJdaCool

Upvote 0

One more thing to keep in mind when tethering this phone:
Check the back of the phone for heat from time to time.
Prolonged use of tethering gets this phone at & above the maximum recommended temperature of 45°C(see back of battery for specs).
Heat is definitely not your friend w/this phone,its already doing a lot more than it was ever intended by running a custom ROM,much less Nuking it via tethering. ;)

Upvote 0

wouldn't hurt to flash metro off v1.3 again and reboot the phone a couple of times to let everything settle down and try it again. :cool:

Upvote 0
Adobe flash players, will they work on the ascend for metro and which version should you use. I ask this because I've seen some youtube vids where it's actually working.

Go to PHANDROID NEWS,JULY 13,2011.You'll find an article & link to the player you're asking about.
I'd also suggest reading the comments following the article for tips & insight,if any to this.
I hope you have good luck w/this but,don't expect a whole lot,as the hardware on the ASCEND doesn't measure up for the full ADOBE experience.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

Just did the whole root, backup, CWM, CM7 5.21 thing and it works pretty well except for occasional random reboots but....

I've lost the microphone icon when I am composing a message:thinking:
The voice to text worked very well.

Can anyone help me fix this?

The search feature was not my friend this time.

Found Solution: Installed "Vlingo" works great

Upvote 0
my m860 wont turn on no matter what,i was recently using it then the battery died and it was jus sitting dead for like a week cuz i switched carriers,then my friend asked if he can have it so i was gonna charge it first but nothing is happening at all. what should i do?

just leave it charging for a day then take it out and put it back in and press the power.

Upvote 0
so i am using DTa2sd methos of moving all my apps to my SD card, but i have 52 apps installed, does having alot of apps in your external memory still make you lag??

I've got about a hundred user apps, EVERYTHING is on my card, it's class 10, partitioned 1024 mb w/32 swap, and I'm using the native a2sd on PG's 0728. My phone's never been quicker. The card upgrade was a huge boost, and freeing up so much internal memory helps, too (I'm floating around 25 mb used.)

My biggest issues are with programs with lots of strain on the cpu. Angry birds has run like crap from the get go, The Weather Channel app crawls no matter what, and Opera's mem leak or whatever was/is wrong with it stops my phone dead. I've even unistalled ADW and Launcher Pro in favor of Zeam Launcher. It's lighter, and I love the scrolling dock.

All this added together means I can have over a hundred user apps, all external, and my phone is the fastest it's ever been.

Upvote 0
I've got about a hundred user apps, EVERYTHING is on my card, it's class 10, partitioned 1024 mb w/32 swap, and I'm using the native a2sd on PG's 0728. My phone's never been quicker. The card upgrade was a huge boost, and freeing up so much internal memory helps, too (I'm floating around 25 mb used.)

My biggest issues are with programs with lots of strain on the cpu. Angry birds has run like crap from the get go, The Weather Channel app crawls no matter what, and Opera's mem leak or whatever was/is wrong with it stops my phone dead. I've even unistalled ADW and Launcher Pro in favor of Zeam Launcher. It's lighter, and I love the scrolling dock.

All this added together means I can have over a hundred user apps, all external, and my phone is the fastest it's ever been.
how big is you SD card, in GB? and thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones