• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Got the Android 12 Update to Pixel 5 Today

Was pushed to the phone as an OTA update. Nice improvements, and everything works pretty much as expected. There is one goof I discovered though , and I can't believe it wasn't caught in beta. That is, the Material You color theming keys off the lock screen wallpaper instead of the home screen, where you spend most of your time. I hate to give up my sunset over the Great Smoky Mountains pic, but I'm not going to have everything themed pink lol!
GSM_NatlPark.jpg

UPDATE: It turns out there is a way of selecting an alternate theme color. See this page from Tom's guide; it's describing the beta, but it looks the same in the official Android 12 release. Thing is, a bug snuck in since the beta. That is, it stops working at step 4. If you want to go back you can't because the 'Wallpaper colors' button is no longer active.

So, if you want the Material You theming, don't select a basic color... ever!

Upvote 0
Still waiting for the update.
You can try forcing the update, like I did:
Settings > System > System update, then regardless if it says "Your system is up to date" tap "Check for update"
If the update is available for your phone, you'll be presented with the option to download it and install. If it says "Your system is up to date" again, you'll just have to wait.

I wouldn't be in a hurry though as I've found another feature that doesn't work. The scrolling screenshot that worked in beta doesn't exist in the release version. The "Capture more" button just isn't there. It was tried with long pages in both Google Chrome and Google Photos.

Upvote 0
You can try forcing the update, like I did:
Settings > System > System update, then regardless if it says "Your system is up to date" tap "Check for update"
If the update is available for your phone, you'll be presented with the option to download it and install. If it says "Your system is up to date" again, you'll just have to wait.

I wouldn't be in a hurry though as I've found another feature that doesn't work. The scrolling screenshot that worked in beta doesn't exist in the release version. The "Capture more" button just isn't there. It was tried with long pages in both Google Chrome and Google Photos.

Thanks. I've done all that so I'll just hurry up and wait.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones