1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Got throttled

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jdremler, Mar 11, 2013.

1. jdremler

jdremler Well-Known Member

so i got throttled this month, only with 4 or 5 days left on my month. i got a text saying that i used 85% of my monthly data cap of 2560mb. so the next day i went over my cap and speed test after speed test showed only a dl speed of no more than 260kbps and that is with my throttle folders removed.my normal is like 700kbps to 1000kbps. i always thought that it did something removing the folders, but now i know that it does absolutely nothing.

Advertisement

SelfElevated2 and greg schmeg like this.
  2. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert

I believe the throttling to the lower end of 3g is going to start costing them customers.

Did you have your proxies removed too?

3. Kamel

Kamel Well-Known Member

That's ******ed... 2.5 gigs is way small. 5 gigs is a more reasonable cap for an "unlimited" service IMHO. Any idea how much of this was 3g/4g?

4. jdremler

jdremler Well-Known Member

I have been with boost for almost 2 and a half years now and this is the first time I've ever hit the 2.5gb limit. I went download crazy this month and ended up downloading a few roms and that's why I think I went over.

5. Krowbarr

Krowbarr Well-Known Member

Believe it or not I got throttled too. Life goes on...guess that's what Wi-Fi is for.

6. Kamel

Kamel Well-Known Member

I don't know about you guys, but this is a deal breaker for me. I signed on for unlimited, not for a ******ed 2 gig limit. Funny thing is, I hardly use any minutes or text, they don't mind charging me unlimited rates for those things and me hardly using any.

I haven't been throttled yet, but I'll more than likely be packing my bags if I get throttled twice.

7. greg schmeg

greg schmeg Guest

Where u gonna go? Metro PCS?

8. Kamel

Kamel Well-Known Member

Don't know, but definitely something with 4G LTE. I'm quite a bit pissed off at boost that in all of my dealings with them before buying my new sgs2 I was never warned they were going to start offering 4g LTE. I knew it was going to happen, but I was thinking third quarter this year so I wasn't willing to wait. Had I known it would have been 35 days (mind you, within 30 days you can return your phone for a refund) after my purchase, I would have held out.

I still might stick around with boost though, if I can pay the extra $10/mo for tethering and that equate to no data cap (I suspect this, but do not know if it's true), it would probably be worth it. My data service is spotty anyway though, hardly ever get good service and where I live is the worst of it. Might be in my best interest to find a provider that I can get reliable internet from since I rely on it so much (and honestly, i use like less than 100 minutes per month and 100 texts per month, i use my phone to have the internet away from my computer basically)

9. shezzy

shezzy Android Enthusiast

Good news is..you can root the phone and don't have to pay the 10$ to tether..bad news is..you still get 2.5gigs total wether you pay 10$ extra or not

10. Kamel

Kamel Well-Known Member

i'm already rooted and able to tether, which i don't even do lol (i never use stock firmware, hate the way it runs). i just set it up and verified it worked from another mobile device. i have heard that people who pay for the $10 hotspot feature don't get throttled, but you're probably right, it probably doesn't matter

11. Quoros

Quoros Member

As an SR for boost you will still be limited to the 2.5gb cap. Doesnt matter if you pay for hotspot or not.

12. Kamel

Kamel Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, keeps me from wasting my time anyway lol

13. jackbquick123

jackbquick123 Well-Known Member

Aren't they scared of losing a bunch of people because they have more competition now. I mean I will probably never get close to my cap cos I use wifi more but still just knowing it's there and I could see bumping back to 3g normal speeds but not to low end.
    It makes the purple 4g lte lady look even better (like she needed any help lol) just my opinion

14. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Yeah... but is it free wifi? If so be careful. ;)

15. Kamel

Kamel Well-Known Member

honestly i would at least like the option to pay for more bandwidth. i think i'd be ok with 5, but 2.5 is way short. i'm not hitting it now, but i have in the past and definitely will in the future. i depend on my mobile internet way too much to have it disabled after watching 2 HD movies. How generous

16. Quoros

Quoros Member

According to my sprint rep they are going to be adding a $10 addon for no data cap. However i will believe that when i see it. For me personal data in my area sucks so i don't use much. He also said that the lte is not suppose to be throttled (where available)

17. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert

Are you referring to Sprint or Boost? It would fit in with the whole price game that businesses play with us. They want to raise the price, but will loose customers, so they make the product smaller or reduce service, and then come out with the upgrade option (that costs more) to get you back to where you were. They have done this from everything from cable service to breakfast cereal.

18. munguse

munguse Well-Known Member

I believe sprint has "unlimited data with no throttle" so it could be the $10 add is for unlimited data on boost. Even then they would probably give you a warning for excessive use

19. Krowbarr

Krowbarr Well-Known Member

Nope, not free but then nothing really is..

20. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert

I had free WiFi for like 3 years. I lived close enough to a public access WiFi spot that I could connect with my laptop. ;)

21. t.burninator

t.burninator Well-Known Member

So I went over the cap and I'm throttled now. The phone itself is pulling 1 Mbit on 4G and .25 Mbit on 3G. Funny thing is, I've got the $10 hotspot (so nobody can complain that I'm tethering because I'm paying for it) and it's always throttled the computer to 1 Mbit over WiFi, whereas a direct-line tether will pull full-speed. Funny you can pay Boost to tether your 4G and they still don't give you full-speed. Now mobile hotspot is pulling a little over a half-megabit to the computer while all of my data service throttled.