1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Got tired of waiting for GB

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Pointguard1122, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Pointguard1122

Pointguard1122 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 15, 2010
    Denver, CO
    I recently purchased a TB as a temporary phone until the Bionic or Targa. I came from a DX with GB and Netflix. It was really difficult to go without Netflix and GB after having it. I had planned not to do much flashing of this phone, but I got tired of waiting for HTC. So I decided to flash CM7 since it does not use the "KILLER" GB radio. This was super easy. The only issue I ran into was learning how to get data working again. I downgraded to the original radio since I had the OTA upgrade. Now Netflix works flawlessly and lokks even better on 4G than it did on my DX. I would like to thank those who are working on the CM7 since this is the only way to get Netflix working without the GB radio. Great job.

Since the CEO of HTC came out supporting the dev community and the Moto CEO came out against 3rd party apps, I am heavily leaning towards sticking with HTC. Moto did a great job with the original Droid, but has been going backwards ever since. I love the DX, but only because the Dev community gave me the ability to remove bloat.

decisions, decisions.

Advertisement

2. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Well said. You're on the right track with HTC. I've had 3 HTC phones since my original android phone... the Droid 1. I did like that moto alot,but ill never have another one

3. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Android Expert
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Queens, New York
    I'll probably be getting a TB sometime next week, but what worries me is if HTC's new unlocked bootloader policy will be retroactive or not. It'd be great if they could release an update for us that'll make this phone even easier to work with.

4. Pointguard1122

Pointguard1122 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 15, 2010
    Denver, CO
    While I am not having reboot issues, I am interested to see how quickly HTC addresses these problems for others. I know two people who have already sold their TB in favor of the Droid Charge. I am sticking with my TB. My only issues is losing data at reboots with the CM7 (I think this is common since it is still pre Alpha).

As far as the bootlaoder goes, I believe it is easily unlockable while rooting. If I understand correctly, that is why we are able to flash the kernal and radios on the TB, but I could be wrong. I am still new at the TB.

5. CyberPitz

CyberPitz Android Enthusiast
    None

May 17, 2010
    Joplin, MO
    This thread makes me wish my CM6 OG Droid :(

Hurry up CM7, I miss you!!!

6. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    dont do it man! the TB sucks! get yourself a sweet droid charge :D (<-inside joke ;))

but seriously,lol,im not real sure what you mean by your statement. part of jcase's root process is to install an s-off,engineering bootloader. only thing that could make it better is if unrevoked,or someone,comes up with a "forever" patch like there is for the evo,incredible,and a couple other HTC phones. that way we could install stock recoveries to take an ota,or flash ruu's without worrying if they overwrote our eng bootloader. the forever patch is awsome and just about gaurantees that the phone will always be rooted,no matter what happens.

the ability to flash things via an unsecured bootloader is actually my favorite thing about htc phones. the droid was a pain,with RSD lite and sbf files. we can package up recoveries,splash images, kernels,even whole roms to flash in hboot on our htcs,without having to mess with a finicky program on the PC... messing with the droid always made me a lil nervous :eek: i feel alot safer modding my htc phones.

i went back to cm7 this morning,and so far im quite tickled. everything seems to work. gps locked right away, bluetooth,data,wifi... all working. battery lifes even seems to be on par with the GB leaks,wich was the whole reason i stopped using it. this one,i can hopefully keep usin for more than a day or 2 at a time. like you guys,i love CM roms and cant wait until RIL is completely merged and we get nightly builds :cool:

7. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Android Expert
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Queens, New York
    Yeah, I know right, the TB is so TERRIBLE. :p

Haha, what I always loved about my OG Droid was there was NO way to brick that thing. I just realized the other day that you get a totally unlocked bootloader during the TB root process, actually, so it's not a concern if HTC wants to retroactively unlock our bootloader... but yeah, like you said, I'd like said bootloader to ALWAYS be unlocked.

That whole "roll your own ROM for the flash interface" thing sounds REALLY cool. Is there a guide where I can read about this kind of stuff with hboot, S-OFF/ON, making ROMs to flash with hboot, and all this other HTC-specific stuff? I read the how-to root guide, but that basically is a manual to get from step A to step B, which is not what I want. I want a way to jump into the modding game myself instead of relying on files everyone else patches together.

I've only dealt with Moto phones in the past (I got a Droid 1 because it's awesome, my dad got a DX as soon as it came out for the big screen, and my mom got a D2 because she needed a phone with a keyboard), so I'm quite good with RSD Lite and circumventing MotoBlur but that's really about it.

I'm really excited about getting an HTC phone and how all the devs seem to love them because they're supposedly more hacking-friendly, but I don't know where to start to try and understand this hboot stuff and RUU files (I'm guessing that's like an SBF?) and everything else.

8. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    well,first you need the standard hboot lecture ;) be extremely cautious what you flash via an unsecured bootloader,as this is the best way to turn your phone into an expensive paperweight that i know of :eek:

while flashing files in hboot is really,really cool,it also comes with great responsibility,as the bootloader is no longer checking for signed files from HTC,and it will try to flash literally ANYTHING that you package up in an appropriately names PG05IMG file. needless to say,you want to only flash things that you know are from reputable developers,and make 100% sure that you double and triple check md5 sums(i check mine on the PC after i download,and on the phone after i transfer it) to make sure youre not flashing an incomplete or corrupt file,as that could be very,very bad.

the other thing you want to do is make sure your phone is adequately charged,as it would be equally,extremely bad for your phone to die or shut off during an hboot flash.

for the most part,RUUs are given to us by verizon,or by various developers. id have no idea how to even go about packaging up roms or RUUs. but here are a couple links that may help some:

unrevoked's root wiki:public:forever [RootWiki]
    it talks aboout their forever s-off patch,and about packaging up recoveries and splash images. granted,these are specifically for the evo and increible,but the concept is the same. if i had a reason to,im pretty sure i could put a clockwork image with an android info text document,and flash it thru hboot,much like the ones doug piston has on his site for the incredible.

speaking of splash images,heres a how you can make up your own splash screen: Make your own splash -- HOW TO - xda-developers i doctored mine up to be a black screen instead of white,added "guietly brilliant" and "(brilliantly rooted!)" below the HTC. not real creative,but its a lil different from everyone elses ;)

ive got some listings of RUUs on my http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/322897-thunderbolt-rooting-methods.html thread,along with some other info and videos on rooting. also make sure you check out the stickied thunderbolt rom listings at the top of the page :)

hopefully that gets you started,anyway :)

shadowdude777 likes this.
  9. stanlalee

stanlalee Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    what are you waiting for, the latest rendition of the alpha CM7 is working flawlessly for me and many others. data, GPS, camera, netflix ect. only thing I did was rename one file so video records sound and installed Kangs latest kernel. I do use ADW Ex but since the standard CM7 uses an (inferior) ADW launcher I still consider to be running pure. I dont care if he never puts out another release.

10. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    while i wouldnt go so far as to say i dont care if theres ever another release,itw working well for me too. my main complaint with previous builds has been the battery life,i think at this early point the radio is just eating the battery until RIL is 100% straightened out.

yesterday,battery seemed to have made a significant improvement over previous builds(i dont know why),and seemed to be pretty on par with the GB leaks.if it continues to work this well,ill be sticking with it for sure :)

im using the stock slayher kernel. remember different phones react differerntly to different kernels,voltages,etc., id reccomend staying with the stock,unmodified kernel for a day or so before you start changeing it out or tweeking it. always make backups in case a kernel change goes for the worse,so youll be able to go back :)

but i agree 100% with stanalee,give the latest build a shot. its defiantely the best yet :cool: