• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Got wet, Stuck on boot screen

I'd like salvage my Rezound if I can.

Full stock, not rooted.

Got a few drops of water behind the battery cover from rain, not submersed. I took the battery out and blasted it with the defroster in the car (defroster runs the AC, which removes moisture from the air) for 2 hours. Booted up fine and I used it for 2 whole days.

I discovered that the camera app stopped working, everything else was fine. Tried doing a reboot and that is when it got stuck at the white screen with green HTC letters. I kept in rice for days afterwards.

I can get into Hboot and select Factory Reset, but it does nothing but reboot and get stuck at the boot screen.

I've tried all combinations of SIM/SD/Battery pulls. Is there anything else I can do?

I'd like salvage my Rezound if I can.

Full stock, not rooted.

Got a few drops of water behind the battery cover from rain, not submersed. I took the battery out and blasted it with the defroster in the car (defroster runs the AC, which removes moisture from the air) for 2 hours. Booted up fine and I used it for 2 whole days.

I discovered that the camera app stopped working, everything else was fine. Tried doing a reboot and that is when it got stuck at the white screen with green HTC letters. I kept in rice for days afterwards.

I can get into Hboot and select Factory Reset, but it does nothing but reboot and get stuck at the boot screen.

I've tried all combinations of SIM/SD/Battery pulls. Is there anything else I can do?
What version of software were you on, the latest OTA? If so, there isn't much you can do without unlocking and flashing something since you can't RUU from the latest software.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yes, whatever was the latest release.

I had considered trying to unlock/root it, but I don't know of way to do it without having the phone boot up for me to get past this early step:

If anyone knows of a way to unlock/root from only the Hboot screen, please let me know!

http://androidforums.com/rezound-al...ys-noob-friendly-root-guide-start-finish.html
ADB Debugging always works in Fastboot, you will just have to get to it manually by pressing and holding Power+Vol Dn for three seconds from an off state, then when the Hboot menu comes up select Fastboot and press Power, then you should be able to continue.

Reactions: Colchicine
Upvote 0
Well thanks to your encouragement, I have started the laborious process of unlocking it to the point I can flash an RUU. These things aren't easy for me, I'm sure it will literally take me all day.
Ummm... you don't unlock to flash an RUU, unless you need to flash the MainVer hack first, an RUU is supplied by HTC and is intended to be applied without unlocking.

Unlocking the bootloader allows you to install/boot a custom bootloader, which allows for custom ROMs and is what I think you meant... BTW, I would recommend Infection or the unofficail Cyanogenmod, as they are rock stable and buttery smooth, although several other ROMs are smoothing out the bumps and will be great daily drivers very soon.

Upvote 0
I've rooted 3 devices and I still have no idea what I'm doing, so thank you for saving me from a day's worth of hard labor.

I assume this is the go-to guide for flashing RUUs?
http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/535820-how-easier-way-flash-ph98img-files.html
Ummm, yeah, pretty much... The biggest issue here is there is no RUU of the latest stock ROM, so to get "stock" you need to unlock, then boot (NOT flash) a custom recovery, and install the stock recovery image to get back to stock. The 4.5 stock recovery image is available in the root section.

Reactions: Colchicine
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones