• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gotta choose today(Eris or something else)

iheotp

Jan 13, 2010
Hi I am new to the forum. I haven't had an android phone either. I went through alot of the early smart phones and kinda went away from it for awhile. Now today I am gonna pick up a new one and the Eris has really caught my eye. So my decision is the Droid, Eris, or Storm 2. I have read and read and It seems that it comes down to personal preference. So I can say the Eris is the front runner right now. But should I wait for Verizon to get the Nexxus or whatever the google phone is gonna be called? Ahhh decisions decisions. Well, good to be here. Hopefully I will be posting more in the near future

Thanks Caddy. I went to the store the other day and tried the 3 out. I kinda dismissed the Droid right away. The keyboard is useless and it is pretty big. The storm 2 was the one that was harder to put down. I like the touchscreen on it maybe more than the Eris. But the Eris seems way cooler. The UI is better and I have read some problems with the BB. I have been reading problems with the Eris also but I think for the most part everyone loves them.

Upvote 0
My thoughts on the Nexxus one is that it will probably have some bugs to work out as most phones do. So by this time next year when I can upgrade again, it might be a good time to get that phone. That is even if I like it over the Eris

so basically your leaning eris :)
i mean dont get me wrong, IM just a tech freak of nature.
so im always trying to get the lastest (im the early adapter idiot).
the eris is a magnificent machine!
you will not have regrets.
particularly when we get the update to 2.X update by the end of march :)

Upvote 0
There will always be new and better phones on the horizon.

Droid 2 Coming With Better Keyboard [Nexus Two?] | Android Phone Fans

Qualcomm's Dual-Core 1.5GHz Snapdragon: Smartphones Are About to Go Hyperspeed - qualcomm snapdragon - Gizmodo

The real trick is to find something you are going to be happy with for the next year or two. Every phone has its own unique advantages and disadvantages. For the Eris, people have reported battery life (it does get better), the youtube app (can still be played via the browser), lack of bluetooth voice dialing (still does voice dialing, just not over bluetooth) and lack of memory for apps (moot if we ever get to install apps on the SD card) as their major problems with the phone. Most people just view it as a great device.

Personally, I have never used the Storm 2. I did use BlackBerry for a few years before getting the Eris and I can say that the comparison isn't really fair. Android, in only a couple of years, is much farther ahead in the OS game than BlackBerry is. BlackBerry works and does work well (on most phones), but the overall UI and especially the browser are lacking in very big ways in my opinion. I know I am biased, but at least I admit it.;)

In the end it is all up to personal preference and you should get what you like and what works for you. Like Caddyman said, you have 30 days to make up your mind. If you get one and just can't live with it, take it back.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input guys. I am totally in agreement with you on finding a device that I will be happy with for a year. And yeah new devices are always popping up and getting better all the time. So I feel this is the right move for this year. And who knows. Maybe the Nexxus or something else will be cool next year. I also have to think about my girlfriend because I will be getting her one too. I think it will be perfect for her. She loved it at the store. I think the biggest hurdle will be texting without a physical keyboard. Right now she has an Env2 and types like a court reporter on it lol. I had her try out the Droid keyboard because she liked having the option. But after 2 minutes, we agreed that it is pretty bad.

Upvote 0
One more thing that I forgot about in my concerns is battery life. I know most smartphones do not have good battery life but man I really don't want to have to charge it twice a day. Are you guys getting some good battery life by doing any tricks or whatever? I read they sell a bigger battery but people are having problems getting the case to close fully

Upvote 0
battery problem is an issue...
it is tweaks but it is a problem.
nothing deal breaking but...
u wanna see a really nice phone though??
not sure when/if its coming out:

its the LG Lephone...
Lenovo Lephone Gallery - - Gizmodo

also if it comes to verizon, im paying full price (no more than $500 lol)
http://news.androidiani.com/sony-ericsson-x10-le-caratteristiche-“ufficiali”-1343

both REALLY hot droids...
but worst case scenario, i will most certainly have a nexus one if none of these phones come to verizon.

Upvote 0
I'm still puzzled by the comments about poor battery life, I guess I don't use my phone as much as everyone else. I easily make it through each day and put my phone on the charger when going to bed. I use Touchdown email with activesync push and get my personal email through Gmail. I use Google Talk a lot throughout the day. Toss in a few short calls and a lot of web browsing and that's my typical daily usage. I don't think my Eris battery life is any better or worse than my last 2 BlackBerry's (Storm2 and Tour).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones