1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Gotta give it up to AT&T

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by BrianJB, Aug 14, 2011.

1. BrianJB

BrianJB Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 19, 2010
    I really have to give AT&T respect where respect is due...

I went into my local walmart (terre haute,in) and I was testing out my phone (sprint evo 4g) vs verizon thunderbolt vs (namesake, at&t)...Verizon was surprising the slowest @ .60 mbps.. Sprint came in 2nd @ 1.2mbps...but at&t was INSANELY fast @ 3.4mbps.

I tested all of these phones 3g speeds 3 times each using speed test.

I can't wait until my contract is up with sprint...At&t is the fastest...hands down.

Advertisement

2. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    At that location, it seems to be the case. I have yet to even approach the download speeds on AT&T, as fast as what I "consistently achieve" on T-Mobile "in my areas" (5Mbs - 8Mbs)...and this is using the same phone on both networks (Motorola Defy, 3G capable on both carriers).

3. Screech

Screech Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I have not tested other carries, but I was getting 6Mbps down and 1.6Mbps up on AT&T in Marietta, OH of all places.

4. Carolina Media

None

Sep 2, 2011
    Cell Phone Dealer
    Charlotte, NC
    It's probably that location only.

As far as 3G speeds go, AT&T and T-Mobile consistently blow away Sprint and Verizon. I believe it has something to do with CDMA vs GSM tech. That's the reason Sprint and Verizon were in such a rush to get a new 4G technology on the market.

When it comes to 4G, Verizon LTE should be blowing away everyone else easily, with T-Mobile following and then AT&T, with Sprint last. Sprint's WiMax barely outpaces AT&T 3G in many areas.

So I'm guessing that either Verizon doesn't have LTE available in your area yet, or it couldn't reach the Thunderbolt you used in Walmart.

5. moondrius

moondrius Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Baltimore MD
    Awesome, I did a speed test and I am only getting 17 mb/s on Verizon and 17 kb/s on att. The sad thing is that I am not joking.