1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Government Surveillance and Hacking on ZTE ZMAX PRO

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mr_Rap_Star, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Mr_Rap_Star

Mr_Rap_Star Lurker

Can anyone tell me why my phone's IP address is the same after purchasing 3 different ZMAX pro's on 3 different occasions? I'm dying to know

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Depends where you got your IP address from. If it's from a DHCP server on a network, then it's likely that you will get the same IP address on more than one occasion, for that network.

Unforgiven, kate and Hadron like this.
  3. Mr_Rap_Star

Mr_Rap_Star Lurker

Thank you for your quick response. It's greatly appreciated. The only thing is that not very many people are concerned with DHCP servers and IP addresses when purchasing a phone until they notice that the phone has a mind of its own.

4. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Your IP address is determined by the device your phone uses to connect to the internet, like a cell tower or WiFi modem/router.

If you have friends over and they connect to your WiFi all their phones will have the same IP address. If you go to a store and connect to their free WiFi you will have a different IP address.

5. Mr_Rap_Star

Mr_Rap_Star Lurker

Thank you for your quick response as well. The only thing is that these phones were purchased in 3 different cities spanning across 2 different states. How likely now is it that each phone has the same IP address unless my phone was directed or targeted for a certain IP

6. kate

Where are the phones being used? If all three are in your home connected to your WiFi they should have the same IP regardless of purchase location. If all three are currently in three different cities then that would be odd.

Also are you looking at local or public IP?

Local: Settings -> About Phone -> Status

Public: any IP info site like http://www.whatsmyip.org

mikedt likes this.
  7. Mr_Rap_Star

Mr_Rap_Star Lurker

These phones have been used in 2 different states. I've never had a wifi network. Local IP is a 192.x.x.x which is the IP that has stayed with all 3 phones and public IP is a 172.x.x.x. Not to mention I get text messages from people who I know in fact are not actually communicating with me.

8. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Any IP address that's 192.168.x.x is a local IP for the device, allocated via NAT routing and isn't on the public internet. And 172.x.x.x is very likely the public IP of your carrier. Have you been using the same SIM and carrier in all 3 phones?

If you want an arbitrary IP address on the internet, see about using a VPN. But anyway text SMS messages are sent to phone numbers, not IP addresses.

#8 mikedt, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    kate likes this.
  9. kate

That is normal and expected.

That's the one that should change based on location.

For that I'd check with your mobile provider.

EDIT: ninja'd by mike :)