1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Governours information

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by trapperjohn, Sep 18, 2011.

1. trapperjohn

trapperjohn Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Male
    Hi,
    I am looking for information on the different choices of governours in cm7. Would like to know the benefits of each one.
    Thanks,
    Bryan

Advertisement

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Governors are by kernel not rom.

How they handle scaling the CPU is generally what changes. Do you have specific ones you are inquiring about?

3. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    I am at a computer now so it is slightly easier to type the differences.

Some governers are reactive while others are predictave which can explain why some may provide better battery life but a slower response or lag.

Consertive is a reactive governer it will try to remain in lower slots as long as it can before going to a higher speed slot.

On demand is also reactive but as soon as the need to go to the next slot is realized it will scale up

Performance is predictive it will scale up very fast to the highest slot and try to remain in the higher slot unless the phone is idle.

Interactive is predictive it will scale up to a slot prior to the phone needing it to unlike performance it will be more conservative in when it goes up not always going to the highest slot. I have also seen interactive described as going to the highest slot as soon as the phone is pulled out of idle the dropping down to the slot above the one that is currently needed but I believe the jumping to the highest slot is done by the governers that have "X" after them as part of IMO's tweaks to his governers.

Smartass is a mix of predictive and reactive, it is a mix of interactive and on demand so scaling up like interactive but then dropping down to on demand slots.

asianrage, scotty85 and trapperjohn like this.
  4. trapperjohn

Dec 25, 2009
    Male
    Oh sorry about that, had a duh moment, since they get listed in rom.. Silly me. :rolleyes:

I would like to know about: ondemand, interactive, powersave, conservative, userspace.

Much appreciated,
    Bryan

5. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Not sure about power save or userspace but I listed the others in my post above

trapperjohn likes this.
  6. trapperjohn

Dec 25, 2009
    Male
    Great info much appreciated :)
    The info about "X" type governours helps me understand the difference most devs just say they are tweaked. That term gets thrown around a lot but some info would also help which you have done for me :)

Hopefully this will help other people since I was not able to find a nice writeup as yours :)

Thanks,
    Bryan

7. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    that was a nice description. i added it to the terms section of the how to thread,so hopefully it will be easier for others to find :)

trapperjohn likes this.
  8. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG

X type have a modification done to them to "jump start" the phone out of an idle state. It will ram up the scaling once the screen comes on to hopefully minimize lock screen lag. In my personal experience this works best on predictive governers

trapperjohn likes this.
  9. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Userspace will allow you to set everything. It will want you to set the Max and min clock speeds as well as scaling info but I'm not sire how yummy would do so on android. By default the governer would not react to events or predict events and runs at 1 slot. I believe the android powerspace governer will either use another governer for default settings or resort to using the settings for the last kernel you used.

Powersave will attempt to run at the lowest available slot at all times without regard to what is needed.

trapperjohn likes this.
  10. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    The following should be edited

Smartass is a mix of predictive and reactive, it is a mix of interactive and on demand so scaling up like interactive but then dropping down to on demand slots. Smartass also drops the max slot used while sleeping, this eliminates the need for sleep profiles and should have a positive effect on your battery.

---------------------------------------

There is also a new governor out smartass v2. I am still trying to find info on it, not sure if it is a complete rewrite or if there has been more added to it.