• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gps a little off..... R915

Sandman45654

Jul 14, 2011
Ok so maybe a little is a bit off. The star shows my actual position. I was wondering if anyone has had any success getting the gps working any better on the R915. I have tried editing secgps.conf manually, using gps aids, and gps test all with little to no improvement. "GPS optimisation" actually seemed to make things worse. None of the gps related dailer codes work for the R915 BTW.

screenshot.png

I got the phone from cricket about three weeks ago and besides this issue it is a great phone for the cost.

I wish that were the case Tiede! If so my phone would be taking a vacation back in the room/cabin without me! :)

Correct, GPSCLRX does nothing! GPS Essentials shows 0/0. Gps test shows 2 in view, zero in use. Virtually no signal.

Seems to me like the R910 and the R915 are a little more different than most are thinking. Not huge differences but many none the less.

Upvote 0
Well, you're stumped me. I thought the little triangle meant you have gps lock (i.e using a few satellites)? I would have expected a blue dot with a large halo around it otherwise...
Also, try clearing all data with the gps status app to reset gps and try to use gps again with google location services turned on, along with wifi. Hopefully that should help...
I'm kind of pulling at straws here, as I own an R910...

Upvote 0
At that time I did have a lock but... lol. I used both the clear features of GPS Test and GPS Aids. After a reboot the phone has gotten better results. I got a maximum lock of 3/6 but it was so far from stable it's laughable. Many times it would drop back to 0/0. Wifi does help even more but is still more than two blocks off. The wifi Band-Aid isn't acceptable to me SAMSUNG! But I do appreciate the advice Tiede :)

screenshot2.png

I have achieved this accuracy many of times however.

Thanks for the help man :) Wish me luck

Upvote 0
Good news, bad news time. I figured out how to use most of the dialer codes on the R915! After entering *#22745927 (Hidden menu enable/disable) and my spc I can now access GPSCLRX. None of the dialer code posts I read said to do that first so I don't know if this is something new or not. Bad news... didn't make a bit of difference :thinking:

@ n3m3515
I have tried and am unable to get a lock. I have to have wifi, gps, and use wireless networks enabled to get around 2-3 block accuracy.

@the258
Sorry to hear that man. I'll tell you what. If this goes unfixed (which I am betting it will) I will never buy another Samsung product again. I spent too much on this for it to be this badly botched. Under ##RTN# it says my phone was activated 0/0/1981! Gps doesn't work but the time machine feature apparently does lol.

Reactions: jjcox315
Upvote 0
Good news, bad news time. I figured out how to use most of the dialer codes on the R915! After entering *#22745927 (Hidden menu enable/disable) and my spc I can now access GPSCLRX. None of the dialer code posts I read said to do that first so I don't know if this is something new or not. Bad news... didn't make a bit of difference :thinking:

@the258
Sorry to hear that man. I'll tell you what. If this goes unfixed (which I am betting it will) I will never buy another Samsung product again. I spent too much on this for it to be this badly botched. Under ##RTN# it says my phone was activated 0/0/1981! Gps doesn't work but the time machine feature apparently does lol.
I tried some dialer codes and noticed that the majority of those will not work on the R915.

Its all good. Im starting to regret confiding in samsung at the moment, too. Im guessing its the location of the person.
no wifi or gps signal - shows im at a location from a day ago.
wifi on - same thing.
gps only - shows im at home, which i am but the arrow is pointing in the wrong direction.
gps and wifi - everything is exact.

Upvote 0
Tried and failed :-( All steps followed to a tee.

Well, that sucks. :(

I know it has worked for everyone I have ever spoke to who had a problem on the 910. I wonder if some step(s) might need to be modified a little bit for the 915?

Any ideas where the procedure may have fallen down? Try again and do some things slightly differently maybe? Sorry I can't be of more help, but I don't have a 915 to experiment on. If you get it figured out, let me know (post back here) and I will update my guide accordingly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones