1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

GPS Accuracy Issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by aabejide2, Nov 16, 2018.

1. aabejide2

aabejide2 Newbie

I still need help trying to rectify the GPS issues on my HTC Desire 530 because if I download AGPS data, it makes the accuracy of the GPS worse. Resetting the GPS data is only a temporary fix. What is the solution to rectify this issue?

2. KBU2

KBU2 Android Expert

There are several ways in getting your device GPS accuracy.
    1) Is to enter your home location in Google Maps.
    2) Is to set up the device High accuracy settings under the location settings.
    3) You can go into Google Maps and in the left upper corner three horizontal bars tap then set up timeline. Now from that point Google will keep high accuracy on your device because your device will be tracked to wherever you go with in GPS range.

#2 KBU2, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Dannydet and Mikestony like this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Actually I was going to suggest the opposite: set it to "device only" and see whether it makes a difference.

"High accuracy" is misnamed: it isn't really more accurate, and can be less so. What it does do is give you a faster location, and a coarse location when there is no GPS signal, but in a location where there is a good GPS signal the additional accuracy from WiFi and cell towers is negligible. But if there is a problem with Google's cell or WiFi map the wireless information can mess the accuracy up, sometimes spectacularly.

So my first suggestion would be to try device only and see how it behaves, just in order to eliminate one of the variables. If the problem remains we will know for sure that it is with the GPS rather than the wireless location, and then you can see whether the high accuracy mode improves things. If not then we'll know it's actually the interaction with the wireless location that's degrading the accuracy.

#3 Hadron, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    tommo47 likes this.
  4. aabejide2

aabejide2 Newbie

I have tried both of these things already, and still the same result.

5. tommo47

tommo47 On Yer Bike, In Yer Chair
    VIP Member

Hi, having read through your previous thread I notice you are using 'GPS Status and Toolbox'.

Might I suggest that you try 'GPS Test Plus'

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstestplus

It gives a far clearer picture of the satellites within range and the respective signal strength of each one, and will display up to a total of 24 satellites.

Screenshot_20181118-013719.png Screenshot_20181118-013513.png

The first screenshot is taken inside the house, standing next to a window and the second screenshot is taken when standing well away from any windows.

In my experience the signal to noise ratio (SNR) needs to be in the yellow or green areas for at least three satellites to get and maintain a reasonably accurate fix.

If I step outside, the number of satellites and strength of the signals increase significantly.

It could help to determine whether or not you have a problem with your GPS receiver.

#5 tommo47, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  6. aabejide2

aabejide2 Newbie

I already tried that, and possibly, the receiver might be the problem. When I download assisted GPS data, it shows me moving at 6 mph when stationary.

#6 aabejide2, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018

HTC Desire 530 Forum

The HTC Desire 530 release date was March 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1.5GB RAM, Snapdragon 210 processor, and 2200mAh battery.

March 2016
Release Date
Reviews