• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS active = Overheating my phone?

XDaydreamerX11

Apr 1, 2010
North of Pitts, PA
While making an 8 hour trek to Chicago this weekend, I learned something horrible about my dearest Incredible. She overheats, BADLY when I have my GPS on. Three hours into my drive, my phone actually shut down.

So I was curious if anyone had any pointers, or had this happen as well?

I had my screen at MINIMAL brightness, had the GPS on and had screen on to follow along, was streaming music from pandora as well. All updates for email/twitter/fb or anything were turned off. Now I had the phone on my shifter console, where there was no sun. But it was on it's back, so on the assumption that it couldn't "breathe", I wedged the top against the opening to my CD player so it was tilted. So air could get to the back of the phone, STILL my status for my battery was "over heat." I had no case, or holder on, nor did I plug it in to charge.

After the phone shut down I took the back casing off, took the battery out, and let it sit on the floor and turned the A/C vents towards it. But really disappointed that my phone couldn't handle the trek. Anyone have any helpful tips about keeping their phone from overheating, or WHAT TO DO? Or if I damaged my phone? It overheated 3 times on my drive...and really disappointed I'm going to have to dust off my Garmin.

I use mine also for navigation. I would suggest turning on the voice navigtion feature and just locking the screen so it is turned off. The voice commands will still be played through the speaker so it actually gives you directions but the screen will be off, saving battery power and possibly also adding to the overheating issue. My phone also gets warm when plugged into my car's 12v car charger and GPS is being used. I have never had it overheat like what you describe but I will watch it closely next time...

Upvote 0
I just did the same thing this weekend. First time too. GPS, plugged in, Radio Time, email, occasional phone call. It got warm/hot but never turned off. Used it for 12 hours one day pretty much all the time and 5 or 6 hours for 3 days. I was worried but said, what the **** since I have insurance. Worked great, sorry to hear about your phone.

Upvote 0
Could be a problem with your battery itself. Buy a spare, nice for swapping out on the road, and see if that fixes the problem. Having a spare allows you to use navigation without charging at same time.
Navigation needs charging if you are using it over 2 hours. The phone should not overheat to a point where it shuts down. Something is wrong.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones