• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS always on Android 4.2

For some reason since we got the Android 4.2 update on the Galaxy Nexus, my wifes phone always seems to be searching for GPS. The first day it searched constantly until she shut it off. She shut the GPS off for about 5 minutes but when she turned it on, it started searching again right away. We have tried rebooting the phone a few times with no luck. Anyone else having this go on? It definitely seems to be draining the battery so I'd like to figure out a way to fix it without doing a fresh install.

I noticed today that my GPS constantly showed that it was in searching mode, something I have never noticed before. I ended up having to turn it off and pull the battery before it fixed itself, just rebooting didn't solve the issue. I've had 4.2 for about a week, today was the first time the GPS issue occurred.

Upvote 0
My wife had actually shut off the GPS all day on the day I posted that. When I checked it that night Shazam and the Weather Channel both took like 35% of the battery each. Both were trying to access the GPS. Turns out the Weather Channel widget was the problem. It was always trying to update itself. I took the widget off but left the app on the phone and left the GPS on all day yesterday. Her battery life returned to normal (roughly 40% when we go to bed) and she said she never saw the searching for GPS notification. Thanks for all the tips!

Upvote 0
My wife had actually shut off the GPS all day on the day I posted that. When I checked it that night Shazam and the Weather Channel both took like 35% of the battery each. Both were trying to access the GPS. Turns out the Weather Channel widget was the problem. It was always trying to update itself. I took the widget off but left the app on the phone and left the GPS on all day yesterday. Her battery life returned to normal (roughly 40% when we go to bed) and she said she never saw the searching for GPS notification. Thanks for all the tips!

Looking more at it last night, I also found that there is an issue with the Weather Channel app. It also sounds as if there may be another app that has a similar issue, making me think that Google may have made changes to the library files that apps use to access GPS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones