• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Malibu LXI

May 17, 2010
Have searched high and low--is there anyway to see how fast the phone is going while in a GPS app? I know Google Nav doesn't support this feature (why not??) but I wonder if some other app might be able to read this feature out of the native GPS information on the DInc??

There's also an app called SpeedView that is designed specifically for this.
I second SpeedView.

I particularly like the HUD display, which is upside down and backwards. If you sit it on your dash at night, you can see the speed floating on your windshield in front of you. That's just cool.

And it keeps a chart of your speed over time as well as average speed and max speed.

Upvote 0
Have you figured out how to use the .gpx file that is created? It is basically a log of all the data (lattitude, longitude, etc) that was created on your trip. You can save the file to your SD and you can even email it. I was thinking and hoping that I could then take that data, and put it in a map (like Google Maps) and it would create a line to show where I went. Seems simple enough, but I can't figure out how to use the GPX file after it is saved.

Has anyone figured this out?

Upvote 0
Have you figured out how to use the .gpx file that is created? It is basically a log of all the data (lattitude, longitude, etc) that was created on your trip. You can save the file to your SD and you can even email it. I was thinking and hoping that I could then take that data, and put it in a map (like Google Maps) and it would create a line to show where I went. Seems simple enough, but I can't figure out how to use the GPX file after it is saved.

Has anyone figured this out?
You can use GPS Visualizer GPS Visualizer: Draw a map from a GPS data file to convert a gpx file to kml, and then load that into google maps. You can also import kml files into a My Maps map on google, and then load that map into maps on the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones