• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS and Navigation Outage in East Texas

Caddoview is dead on. Mine starts working as soon as I get to Vivian, LA. It also begins working between Alto and Nacogdoches. The Nacogdoches towers are different I suspect because another phone I have goes into Roaming at about the same point my HTC Droid GPS becomes functional. Mine also works fine in Dallas and Little Rock. I vote we rename this thread GPS OUTRAGE East Texas!!

Upvote 0
Ok, just got a call back from Latoya at the regional Verizon office. Once more I got the “it’s a Google problem and we don’t support third party apps” line. She talked me into trying VZ navigator and gave me a $10 credit to try it out. Here is the result. VZ navigator found my location with GPS when I went outside. I closed it and opened Google maps and it found me to the spot. When I came back inside where there is no GPS signal, it lost me and is putting me at a tower location. I really despise Apple and AT&T has poor coverage here, but I never had this lack of customer care when I was with them.

Upvote 0
Ok, just got a call back from Latoya at the regional Verizon office. Once more I got the “it’s a Google problem and we don’t support third party apps” line. She talked me into trying VZ navigator and gave me a $10 credit to try it out. Here is the result. VZ navigator found my location with GPS when I went outside. I closed it and opened Google maps and it found me to the spot. When I came back inside where there is no GPS signal, it lost me and is putting me at a tower location. I really despise Apple and AT&T has poor coverage here, but I never had this lack of customer care when I was with them.

This is the same thing they are doing to me in Baltimore. I filed a complaint with the fcc. If Verizon wont look into it I am sure they will. I tried out att last month and had no gps issues at all. Even with the poor coverage in my area gps was instant and accurate.

Upvote 0
Latest update - VZ navigator worked for a short period of time and after opening VZN, Google maps also worked fine and tracked me as I drove. However, once I went inside a building and came back out a few hours later, neither VZN nor Google maps could get a GPS lock. I am getting rather feed up. It really appears that Verizon is absolutely refusing to take any responsibility for this. I tried to tell Latoya that VZ navigator would not work any better than Google maps and that others had already tried it, but it seems that Verizon customers are idiots and don

Upvote 0
Regarding the Western border of our GPS outage area, I can get GPS lock between Corsicana and Dawson on TX Hwy 31, it continues to work as I travel West towards Waco. GPS does not work in Corsicana, or anywhere to the East.

As someone said, Verizon has nothing to do with GPS itself. But there may be something from Verizon's network that's knocking your phone's GPS for a loop. In your "Location and Security settings" Un-check VZW location services but leave the Google and Standalone ones checked. Maybe that'll help?

Upvote 0
Odd. I use Latitude every day in Longview. it loses GPS tracking if I'm inside, but usually picks right back up as soon as I get outside again.

Occasionally, I'll show up as being in some odd places, but it self-corrects within 30 minutes or so.

Using an Incredible. Other friends on my Latitude list have an X2 and a Fascinate. They've never mentioned any long duration outages.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones