• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gps and screenlock problem.

Xandarb

Lurker
Aug 27, 2011
Hello!

So, I have this problem with my GPS on my brand new Samsung Galaxy S2 phone.
I would like to put the Maps app on, lock the screen and drive away (I have a motorcycle, so the phone is in my pocket when I drive). When I then approach the destination (and not exactly knowing where to go next) I would like to take my phone and instantaneously know where I should go.

Here is the problem: The GPS signal is always lost when I unlock the screenlock. Probably some fancy battery-saver that turns off the GPS when not needed :p.
Is there any way to have constant GPS updating? I do realize that my battery will be drained quickly and I do have "unlimited" packet data available.

Thank you!
Alexander

I am stuck with the same issue, and no answers. The Samsung Stratosphere has the same issue. I switched to Verizon and I'm looking for a phone that doesn't have this issue.

My friend's Droid X doesn't seem to have that issue. I used to do fine with my Samsung Galaxy Indulge as well, it would keep the GPS fix the entire time that I had the screen locked. I use it for hiking, so GPS on the whole time is a MUST to track my trail, but screen off is necessary to conserve battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones