1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General GPS causing audio stutters

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SteveL_UK66, Jun 22, 2011.

1. SteveL_UK66

SteveL_UK66 Lurker
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    Hi all

I upgraded from a Desire to a Desire HD, and although I love the new phone, I am finding that whenever the GPS is in use (i.e something is really using it, rather than just enabling it for use by applications), audio playback stutters a lot, no matter what audio player I use. If I turn GPS off, or close the apps that are using GPS (and so it isnt actually in use), the stuttering stops.

Just wondering if this is related to the poor GPS issue I have seen elsewhere in here, as I do get a lot of "no gps" or "poor gps signal" when driving with the DHD in the dock. Would the known low GPS signal issue cause the phone to work harder and stutter the audio?

Looks like i`ll be trying to prise off the GPS cover sometime in my near future.... A mail out to the staff at my workplace asking for latex gloves might raise a few eyebrows :)

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    GPS is quite the battery killer, meaning it causes quite a bit of load on the CPU. That's probably the reason for the stuttering.

Logically, your assumption that a poor signal would cause the phone to work harder to get a better reception makes sense, so there's no harm in seeing if cleaning the contacts makes a difference. :)

3. SteveL_UK66

SteveL_UK66 Lurker
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    Job done (which isnt really that scary!), and despite being inside a large concrete building, I am getting two satellites shown to me, which is many as I used to get outside! I`ll know more later today when I drive home.

4. SteveL_UK66

SteveL_UK66 Lurker
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    I ran my old Desire and new Desire HD alongside each other this morning on the way to work, and GPS test shows that the HD now sees and uses far more satellites than it used to, very nearly the same amount as my old Desire..... and it also cured my audio playback stutter at the same time.

Yay!

5. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Work to live, not the other way round!!
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire
    Spot on mate... glad you got it sorted! :)