• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS: do you leave it on or off?

GPS: do you leave it ON or OFF? What's corresponding battery life?

• GPS ON: battery life really good

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • GPS ON: battery life not very good

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • GPS OFF: battery life really good

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • GPS OFF: battery life still not very good

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How about "GPS Off, battery life OK"? This is where I'd be. I only turn GPS on when I'm using Google Maps.

I just recently changed the Facebook refresh interval from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Those 36 fewer updates may have had a fair impact on the battery. Yesterday my battery seemed to perform much better, although I didn't use it for many calls.

Upvote 0
Off. Why leave it on all the time? Most location services are good enough from the rough location given by masts.

I only switch on for Maps, Sat Nav etc.

Maybe I'm missing something...

Convenience really, but you're right that its certainly not necessary. I'd love to leave it on and forget it like I can on my BlackBerry but that's just not possible on my Nexus One.

Upvote 0
How about "GPS Off, battery life OK"? This is where I'd be. I only turn GPS on when I'm using Google Maps.

I just recently changed the Facebook refresh interval from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Those 36 fewer updates may have had a fair impact on the battery. Yesterday my battery seemed to perform much better, although I didn't use it for many calls.

yeah - i've bumped up my notifications on FB to 2hrs as well... twitter, notifications are off (don't need em on, since so many notifications are impersonal)

Upvote 0
Since i'm using mylookout.com i leave it turned on...

how much would that suck if my phone got lost or stolen and i forgot to turn it back on before the thief stole it or i lost it?

is there a subscription for mylookout.com? so it can locate your phone (provided GPS is on? - can it do it via cell triangulation? - I guess that wouldn't help pinpoint it though... severely reducing its effectiveness...)

can it also wipe your phone clean if you do indeed lose it?

Upvote 0
It's not just GPS that eats through battery, all the connections eat through it. I just turn on connections and syncs when I need or want it, I can get through a day of good use with ease.
also Remember these batteries take a few cycles to break in, battery life should get better after a week or so of use.

I don't know why people complain about the battery life, GPS in anything uses a lot of power, bluetooth and wifi is another battery drainer that I think a lot of people keep on all the time. I am sure that if you have your sync on all the time that is a great source of battery drain as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones