1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General GPS does not give correct time?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jbeale, Aug 30, 2011.

1. jbeale

jbeale Newbie
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    I'm running "GPS Test" on my Galaxy Ace GT-S5830L running Android 2.3.4 (GINGERBREAD.UBKP7).

The app shows that 6 or more satellites are in use, and displays the correct Lat/Lon position, but the time display is consistently 15 seconds fast, as compared with the website time.gov (which says network delay = 0.2 seconds). In the same location, another phone (HTC MyTouch 3G) also running GPS Test agrees with time.gov to within one second.

A gps receiver in lock should always know the time internally to better than 1 microsecond. Does the Galaxy Ace GPS unit simply not transfer time to applications, or is there some other problem?

Advertisement

2. jbeale

jbeale Newbie
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    Ok, I had forgotten this: GPS time is currently ahead of UTC by 15 seconds, because GPS does not account for leap seconds. See also: GPS, UTC, and TAI Clocks

So, somehow the HTC MyTouch is aware of the 15 second GPS-UTC time difference, and my Galaxy Ace is not.

3. chismay

chismay Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    ASSISTANT HEAD CHEF
    LONDON
    ive found since updating to gingerbread and then not updating g-maps i can keep it on sdcard but the gps takes alot longer to lock. dont know if that contributes to your thread mate srry but just thought id say. lol