• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root gps fix for aosp

Just copy and paste exactly what is posted. My phone always had me in the Bahamas which would be great, but its not at all accurate.

Also, go into locations under settings in the ROM and uncheck network location. Just check GPS and you'll notice a dramatic improvement.

Hi,
Just wondering by enabling gps wouldn't you see the battery drop real fast?
Thanks,
Bryan

Upvote 0
From what I understand you shouldn't really see much of a difference in battery life with GPS turned on/off unless you use an app that polls GPS often. The GPS is active at all times regardless if you have the GPS enabled/disabled (google tracks you) what the toggle in settings does it allows apps to trigger polling of the GPS and have access to the GPS records i.e. get your location. If you do not use maps often or a weather app with GPS enabled you wouldn't notice much if any battery life difference regardless if the setting was toggled on or not.

Reactions: trapperjohn
Upvote 0
The GPS radio uses very little power. Don't forget it is just a receiver, not a transmitter. Bluetooth does not use very much either unless you are streaming music or something.

Really, the LTE radio is so power hungry it makes everything else but the display and CPU kind of irrelevant. Those three things dominate battery usage and are what you need to pay attention to. Turning off 4G when not needed, using automatic brightness, and getting a good ROM/kernel/governor/voltage setup is what gets you good battery life. At some point, if you turn off enough stuff you might as well just get a feature phone and go five days on a charge.

(Technically, I think the vibrate motor uses the most of all, but is only on for maybe 30 seconds a day. The flash uses a ton of juice, too, but same thing, it is rarely on).

Reactions: trapperjohn
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones