• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS FIX has been released on the Captivate

texphone

Jul 22, 2010
texas
Official word from Samsung Sept 22, 2010:

An update to improve the Samsung Captivate's GPS performance is now available. Captivate customers will receive a notification on their device that an update is available and will simply need to download the file to update their phone. The updates will be pushed to customers’ devices over the next few weeks.

The update for the Captivate will also improve additional device functions, such as media scanning time, add the full version of Quickoffice and address Microsoft Exchange 2003 policy support.

-----------------------

So obvious question is when for other phones? Are they going to cycle one brand at a time because of server load - each brand taking 2 weeks? So the whole thing could take 8 weeks?

Yeah thats a big let down... But it gives me hope that they are working on ours now. If they release it this month, I wont be dissapointed at all.

If they release it this month, I'll be shocked! :eek:

I will say that the GPS situation seems to be better with the custom ROM I installed, though I haven't tested it on the road yet. The last fix I tried, taken from a leaked ROM, was accurate at times but had a nasty tendency to drift quite badly.

Upvote 0
It may be that yesterdays' rollout of the alleged GPS fix was not there at all, at least to end users.

Quite an unseemly mess. Can the credibility of any of these players (Samsung, the carriers, Engadget, etc.) possibly get any worse?

Oh goodness who am i going to believe, Samsung's official twitter and Facebook or some guy who claims he had a conference call with a Samsung rep. Even if the guy really had a conference call with Samsung rep, we all know how accurate those reps are. I guarantee you one hundred percent that rep gave him false info. I know for a fact because i called at&t today, and at&t did a conference call with Samsung ceo. The ceo was on a private jet flying to Korea but he took my call anyways, he ppromised me captivated update did include the gps optimization. So beat that!!!!

What's more troublesome is people posting "my gps works now!!!!". Then a few hours later same people are posting my "oh shit my gps is slowly starting not to work again"

maybe the hardware cache issue that epic users and others have been saying is true, it might just be a hardware cache underrun type error. Remember like ten years ago, if your cd burner didn't have enough available cache, you would get cache underrun errors, no firmware could fix this, it was purely hardware. Maybe the galaxy s really does suffer from hardware cache issues, only to work at first then fail within hours to days of work. Common theme going on with epic, fasinate, captivate, and even vibrant owners have said gps works at first only to stop working a few days later or needing a reboot, sounds like hardware cache issues to me.
Only time will tell when we get our update!!!

Upvote 0
I dont see what the big problem is with restarting your phone from time to time..i mean it is after all a computer..and isnt it good to clear it out from time to time? I know i restart my phone atleast once every day or so. also when im not using my GPS, i have GPS turned off.

also if it were a hardware problem (which i would like to add i doubt it is) you bet your butt that samsung had better be in order to fix the problem and send us new devices, pending we return our old ones.

Upvote 0
Don't know why the update didn't improve your GPS but it sure did mine. Get a fix in my house in less than 15 seconds. In my basement in under 25 seconds. Outside 5 seconds. Took up to several minutes before when outside. Now I'll have to see if it loses a fix like it would before. Have the Captivate. I did have to do a search for updates as it wasn't pushed out to my phone yet.

Upvote 0
I am tired of samsung's crap and not fixing neither the lag or gps issue on time. When do I consider "on time" to be? Well, I dont recall signing up to be a beta tester, nor do I recall us getting any kind of money to test the phones so therefore the problem should have been fixed before the initial release date. You wouldn't buy something from walmart that didnt work 100% and wait for it to be fixed whenever they feel like doing it. It is always nice having the phone lock up or gps not working so that my Iphone friends can laugh at me. I know some say "just be happy it makes calls" but then if I just wanted to make calls I could have saved a few hundred with a flip phone. FIX YOUR PHONE SAMSUNG!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones