• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

novak921

Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
How has everyone's GPS been doing? I haven't seen too much chatter on the forum lately about it. My MT still seems to struggle with locking while having 6 or more sats shown in GPS fix. My MT locks around 3 minutes so not horrible but was just wondering if anyone else still has a finicky GPS.

from everything I've read, it seems like a GPS software fix from Motorola is low on their to do list.

thanks everyone!

Thanks for the replies everyone! A 3 minute GPS is better than no GPS, just kind of annoying when you're driving and have to wait for it to lock. Besides the GPS, the MT has been flawless for me. I did apply the forum mod fix as well with no avail so maybe I'll try that again.

Thanks!

~Novak

Just a heads up. Im not sure if read through the whole thread with the fix. The key to get it to work is apply the fixed file, restart and then apply the original gps file and restart. The fix alone did not work for me either but once I applied the original GPS file again...PRESTO almost instant lock. I dont know why but it works. Read the thread and you will see how it has worked for others

Upvote 0
In the northern half of Georgia, almost instant lock...some of the time. In the southern half, 7-10 minutes to lock WITH Gps fix. I would've returned for a new unit save for the tests in Atlanta that went well. Couldn't give you a reason - the only knowledge I have is via experience. I let 30 days pass by accident, so I can only hope someone will come up with a solution that works for me one of these days :)

Upvote 0
W.r.t. one conf file vs. another, perhaps the phones are caching information w.r.t. the time servers or the suppliers of AGPS data. When the files are changed out, maybe the cached data gets invalidated and a slow GPS phone becomes fast again.

The issue with North GA vs. South GA, well, that might mean packets of data that are needed in the AGPS solution just aren't flowing through the same cell towers and internet hops from every location properly. Maybe that is a VMUSA networking issue.

This might explain why some people (presumably with the same GPS electronics and antenna) aren't reporting lock delays, and others are.

And then there are some people claiming with modding their libraries, they can now see more sats and get a GPS lock inside their house where they couldn't before.

And so to me, it seems like the "solution" is probably a combination of an optimized gps.conf file which specified the time servers and other important parameters, and better library files like those provided over in XDA forums that do a better job in processing the information from the sensor HW and the network...

Reactions: melissapugs
Upvote 0
How has everyone's GPS been doing? I haven't seen too much chatter on the forum lately about it. My MT still seems to struggle with locking while having 6 or more sats shown in GPS fix. My MT locks around 3 minutes so not horrible but was just wondering if anyone else still has a finicky GPS.

from everything I've read, it seems like a GPS software fix from Motorola is low on their to do list.

thanks everyone!
Surprisingly locks faster than my dedicated Garmin 255W Indoors.Takes about one min and I have a GPS signal lock. Location South Florida.

Bob

Upvote 0
hey guys, just wanted to give an update. I contacted Motorola today and got to level 2 support. Surprisingly the friendly rep said it was the first call she has fielded in regards to a problematic GPS. She said she couldn't escalate my claim to level 3 support without me doing a factory reset which I highly doubt would have any effect but figured I'd let you guys know. My GPS has been on and off. I tried the XDA config file again and tried something else so I'll let you guys know.

~Novak

Upvote 0
hey guys, just wanted to give an update. I contacted Motorola today and got to level 2 support. Surprisingly the friendly rep said it was the first call she has fielded in regards to a problematic GPS. She said she couldn't escalate my claim to level 3 support without me doing a factory reset which I highly doubt would have any effect but figured I'd let you guys know. My GPS has been on and off. I tried the XDA config file again and tried something else so I'll let you guys know.

~Novak

You couldn't have lied and said you did one? I mean.... I am totally with you saying that it wouldn't work anyway. But wow... good info to know. Maybe when I have some free time, I will call and do all the crap they tell me to see how far in the chain I can get up. I would love to see the GPS issue be fixed.

Upvote 0
I didn't want to get caught in a goof lie if they asked me something and turned out I didn't do the reset haha. All she said about level 3 support though was that it was the "developers" and they would just be able to tell me whether or not the issue has been brought up yet and if they might be working on a fix.

I was going to email Virgin Mobile and see what their stance is and whether or not they've been pressing Motorola for a fix. From the Motorola forum, someone said the HTC Thunderbolt had nearly the same issues as us and Version and HTC put out a fix pretty quick.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones