• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Give manteras suggestion a try in the all things root section. My gps locks in 2.5 seconds now

Awesome, not only did I get a lock quickly but my location is now much closer to being accurate by showing me in my yard. ...at least I'm not being shown as being in Canada any more. LOL

I think I'll go pester Motorola now since THEY need to fix this issue.

Upvote 0
How is that possible? I can't get a GPS lock to save my life!

Way late in responding, but I am guessing it is like someone else posted...

The issue with North GA vs. South GA, well, that might mean packets of data that are needed in the AGPS solution just aren't flowing through the same cell towers and internet hops from every location properly. Maybe that is a VMUSA networking issue.

This might explain why some people (presumably with the same GPS electronics and antenna) aren't reporting lock delays, and others are.

Also, I switched to the CM7 build and just use my Garmin sat nav and take the 30 sec. it would take to look something up on my phone and punch in the address. But I don't really use sat nav all that often to make the hassle mean that much to me.

Upvote 0
I've now had my Triumph for two weeks. I'm one of those that seem to have gotten a good one. Everything seemed to work great and I could get a satellite lock within 30 seconds and it seemed to perform perfectly.

Went out of town for three days and just got back this afternoon. Went through San Antonio and decided to turn my GPS on to see how it worked out of Houston. Locked on within a few seconds and then lost reception. Then it showed "searching for gps" and could never get it to connect. Was really ticked because I really like the phone but don't want to spend that much money and something not working on it.

Finally about two hours during the return trip it dawned on me maybe it was hung up. I pulled the battery and replaced it and got an instant lock. All this time I was comparing to my wife's Droid X. About 30 minutes after my GPS started working again her DroidX locked up and she had to pull the battery. She says occassionally she has to do that.

So I'm pleased again. I'm going on another trip next week and I'll try one more time to see how it does on a trip before deciding whether to keep it. Other than this one time I've really enjoyed having it.

David

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones