• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gps...gps.....again!

Wow, ....I've seen the reports of people up north having GPS problems....but I am in South Georgia.

I have a Droid X1. GPS issues started a few days ago. Worked then stopped, then worked, then stopped.....again and again.

Tried all the so called fixes....

Even downgraded to froyo. Worked for a few minutes and stopped again. Then worked again. Then stopped again. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upgraded back to Gingerbread. Same freakin thing.

I'm sick of this BS! I know my phone GPS is working! Something is screwing it all up. I wish whoever is causing it would figure it out whether it is VZW or Google or whoever.

Update 3:35 eastern Friday, now working again. We'll see how long it lasts this time.

3:45 NOT working.:mad:

ANYONE have a clue?

I went to a VZW store last week, and was told that it's a "software problem". I had noticed mine acting up about three back when it could only locate me in a rough sense, and my location kept jumping around. The next time I needed it a few days later, I couldn't get a fix at all, which is what got me into the store to begin with. I called their corporate call center as well, but got absolutely NO WHERE. They had me within an inch of jumping to Sprintand, since they were quick to blame the earthquake that occurred ten days after my problem started. I don't know how long you've had your problem Wetherb67, but I think it could be any number of things.

Upvote 0
One thing you could try is the free app GPS Test. When I had my problem, it found NO satellites in the sky. With my GPS working, it finds upwards of eight. Trying that won't fix it, but might shed a little more light

I've been regularly using it for the last few days.

My problems started late this week and it's been constantly back and forth. I really can't believe that all we hear is crickets. Nobody wants to take the blame and fix it and if they are working on it how about letting someone know?

I keep hoping that we'll hear from google or verizon or somebody soon.

Upvote 0
I went to a VZW store last week, and was told that it's a "software problem".

Another issue I have with that is that I have been on both Froyo and Gingerbread, used the older Google Maps version as well as the update...and the problem does not change across all versions.

Something big is wrong here and nobody wants to seem to do anything about it.

Upvote 0
Here's some additional information from this morning.

I traveled across town about 2 miles and was there for about 3 hours.

When I got there, the GPS locked on and kept a signal consistently during the entire time.

However, during the drive home it lost signal and now I'm back home and the issues have started again.

This leads me to believe that cell towers have something to do with it or at least the one near my house. I don't know of any other explanation for it. This also confirmed that my phone is functioning correctly.

Upvote 0
WOW. I wish I could say this cleared it up but it seems to just make it more confusing.

I tried all three services INDEPENDENTLY, by themselves in the same location as this morning. NOTHING. No signal at all.

Tried Standalone and VZW together. Nothing.

Tried all three as I did earlier today. NOTHING, where earlier in this format it locked on within 2-3 seconds and lasted for 3 hours. :thinking::thinking::thinking:

I give up. I hope whatever is causing it ends soon. :mad:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Using the GPS Test app, i have discovered something amazing.

Pushing on the battery door, OR removing it completely INSTANTLY causes the GPS to work.

WOW.

I'm using the stock battery and battery door.

There is also a little copper thing on the left side inside. I've found that if I use a paper clip to depress it with the door off it shuts off the GPS. If I release it again, the GPS works. It appears that by fiddling with it a little bit I have corrected it to a point where putting the door back on does not cause it to shut off. So I guess it is "fixed" for now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones