1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

gps has showed current location as ex partners address???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hsb2509, Feb 9, 2011.

1. hsb2509

hsb2509 Lurker

hi just wondered if anyone could shed some light on this for me. I recently changed my phone for the HTC Desire. I am living in wales my ex patner is living in london. Last week I was sat at home and my current location showed specifically where my ex partner lives, i looked on my maps and it showed his street??? anyone have any idea how this has happened I know the current location can sometimes be incorrect. But this is too strange to be a complete coincedence. Has he tracked me somehow? I understand how tracking works but my phone was showing his location, and I didnt think this happened with tracking. Any ideas on how this has happened would be really appreciated. Its really bugging me!
    Cheers

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jaybea830802

jaybea830802 Member

I had a similar thing when my phone located me at my house in Manchester when I was actually in Cornwall. I worked out that the phone was using the WiFi signal to geolocate me and I had taken an old router down to install which still had the original SSID settings from when it had been used in Manchester. This router was in use when Google did the Street View scanning, so I guess that the identity of the router was linked to the location in Manchester. Once I turned the GPS radio on, my location updated correctly.

hsb2509 likes this.
  3. hsb2509

hsb2509 Lurker

Thanks, that makes sense to me, but i have never been to my ex partners address with that phone? in fact havent been there for years. I am still a little mystified. not really up on technology either which doesnt really help lol.

4. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Maybe you somehow logged into google maps and set that location on another device / PC or something?

Or perhaps why your feet are dirty when you wake up in the morning is no longer a mystery?

Apologies for being facetious there ;)

hsb2509 likes this.
  5. jaybea830802

jaybea830802 Member

It is not the phone that has to have been there - Google gets the location from the Street View data. Potentially other phones could have the same problem if the location is based on a router that has moved house.

There are a few ways that people could find your location from your phone, but I cannot think of any way that someone could force your phone to show the wrong location, at least not without a lot of effort.

hsb2509 likes this.
  6. hsb2509

hsb2509 Lurker

thanks but the mystery continues, dont think i have managed to walk to london and back in my sleep lol.

7. barnsley

barnsley Lurker

Has your ex partner taken any computer equipment with him from your house to his in London? Or could you have brought some with you that used to be down there? (depending on who moved where)

8. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert

One of the nice things about google is it saves your maps data - searches etc.

Postcode searches I've made at work appear on my pc at home and on my phone as search history (assuming I was logged onto my gmail account in each instance).

Maybe its something like that and that current location works in the same way. Flick on GPS and refresh to your location and all should be well.

Just a thought......does your ex know your Gmail account password etc?

9. alackman

alackman Android Enthusiast

i was going to ask this

they may have a logged into gmail as you to maybe read your emails and therfore google/latitude etc may the regiser your location at this address,

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews