• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS icon not going away

paranoidducky

May 16, 2010
So after using google maps to navigate somewhere today, the small icon on top of the phone saying that the gps is active will not go away or turn off...
i don't have any crazy apps and i even tried using task killer to stop maps and also the force close on it from settings...

not sure what to do to make this go away...hopefully it's not messing with the battery life. does anyone else have this issue or know more about it?

Mine is always on as well. I have GPS turned off and I just turned off automatic location for my browser and Weatherbug. Its still on though. Any other suggestions?

Edit: Its not transmitting yet the circle is still there. Does that mean that its still using it?

Circle means gps is on but not in use, lines from circle is location on, and then the green satellite dish means your gps is in use.

Upvote 0
Right. I think that is intended. I have never not seen the crosshairs icon; when it's like that, it means the GPS is off.

Thats what I was thinking. I just read the users manual really quickly and when its got the crosshairs its getting your location based upon what tower/Wi-fi your on. So I turned location off completely and the crosshairs are actually still there. I am perplexed

Upvote 0
27zjhy0.jpg

As neco said, you're talking about the location icon. The GPS icon is a little satellite dish.

Reactions: necosino
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones