• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS icon stays on titelbar?

The GPS Icon will only remain on the Notification bar if an app is open / actively using it :)

Download a free Task manager to kill which app is using it , or navigate to the app using it and keep pressing the Back key until it closes. That should sort it

Carl
rudolf.gif

Upvote 0
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the reply. I'm reading reports in the android dev forum that specifically on the Sprint Hero, this behavior can occur.

If anyone has a geo-aware app, like foursquare (or wants to give it a shot!) that would be awesome. I know it uses gps, and shuts down gps properly (their source code is public). I don't have a hero available, so if someone could just try that it'd be awesome,

Thanks

Upvote 0
I think it's a problem with the update. It doesn't appear that the GPS is running, but the icon blinks away making you think it's running. The log doesn't seem to indicate it's running, anyway.

I tested different settings in my app and couldn't see a pattern of how to get rid of it for all cases.

-Alex

Upvote 0
My response from Yelp when I asked about the GPS icon:

Thanks for the Android app feedback! So we did some research on this
one yesterday. We do keep GPS on for a few seconds after you quit the
app (just in case you go right back into the app), but then we turn it
off. Unfortunately, the Hero has a bug where it will still show the
GPS icon even though GPS is actually off.

Sorry for the confusion! We're going to see if we can work around
this bug in our next app update!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones