• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS in the aeroplane?

g4rvd4

Android Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2010
Hi,

I was thinking that it would be interesting to use the phone's GPS while traveling in a plane. I could measure the speed and altitude among other things.. :cool:

So my question is: has anyone tried it? Will it work? Is it okay to do, or will it mess with the flight's systems?

Regards.

It won't mess with any flight systems. The GPS part of your phone only receives signals already present in the air, it doesn't output anything. You can put your phone in Airplane mode and the GPS receiver will continue to work. Saying that some airlines do not allow you to use GPS devices due to ignorance so you should check with your airline whether it's ok.

Upvote 0
...So my question is: has anyone tried it? Will it work?...
I've tried it a couple of times; first time just had a blue dot with no map, as obviously I had no data; second time I had the map on screen before turning data off, but then it wouldn't show my location.

I guess you'd be better off using an app that gave you actual co-ordinates, rather than just a dot on a map.

Upvote 0
I brought my Garmin eTrex Legend HCx on the plane a few times. Get as close to a window as possible to be sure to get a good signal. And definitely make sure it's OK with your airline to use a GPS, not all of them allow it. On the way back from California last time, we caught a good tailwind and I saw a max speed of 599 MPH.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones