1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root GPS issues post CM7

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pasternak, Sep 1, 2011.

1. pasternak

pasternak Lurker
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    Rooted Evo/GB with revolutionary and flashed the latest stable CM7. And everything is working well except GPS/Google Navigation. GPS often hangs forever looking for satellites. On the rare occasion it does find a few satellites Google Nav only works for a few minutes and then reports signal lost.

Installed an Market App called "GPS Status" to try to visualize what is happening. When I fire up the app I often don't see any satellites at all on what the application refers to as "Radar". And on rare occasions I do catch a glimpse of a bunch of satellites for a moment then back to zip.

GPS is on via settings. GPS was working fine before I flashed CM7. And the phone is sitting in a cradle on the windshield where it has always work well in the past.

Got any idea what's wrong and how I might fix this?

Thanks for helping me out!

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    not sure what it is with aosp but many aosp roms have issues with gps. so here is the fix for cm7:xda-developers - View Single Post - [INFO/FAQ] Unofficial Cyanogen Mod Nightly (6/6 - I'm taking my ball and going home!)

youdoofus, pasternak and iMethod like this.
  3. iMethod

iMethod Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Also before flashing cyanogen keep your gps (ON) and make sure it stays on most of the time it will keep the issue from happening but if it does definitely check out the link ocnbrze posted.

Also im not sure if this works but i heard it does most of the time, if you flash an updated radio you can get your gps working better, also it can sometimes double your download speed :)

pasternak likes this.
  4. pasternak

pasternak Lurker
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    Oh, Man, excellent fix!

Many thanks to ocnbrze!!!

5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    no worries glad it worked for you.

6. gemiar

gemiar Lurker
    None

Dec 14, 2011
    I had this exact same problem on my Evo 4G. Found a fix that was a little easier than the one above. I'm pretty new to rooting, customizing, etc my phone so I really just got EXTREMELY luck with this.

I downloaded an app called GPS Status. There is a free and paid version. The app allows you to clear / reset the GPS cache/stats/info whatever it is from within the app itself; then you can also re-download the info from the app. I don't know if I am saying this stuff right, but before I did this Maps location was WAY off and Navigation would not acquire location. Both work flawlessly now and both lock onto my location instantly.

Hope this helps. Again, no credit owed to me, just extremely and coincidentally lucky.

dustwun77 likes this.
  7. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    Here is the only fix you need. Just flash in recovery. Its the qualcomm 1.1 driver and it is fantastic.

http://db.tt/yg7iFQRU

ocnbrze and dustwun77 like this.
Tags: