• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
yeah idk what to do now i mean samsung is supposed to release a fix to this sometime in september maybe it will come out with the froyo update who knows though. I also saw somewhere that another person had the fascinate and had no issues so maybe it is just some phones but i will wait and see if more people review it and have issues

Upvote 0
sad... as soon as i finally think ive found a phone to get, the bing stuff annoyed me and i could live with, but if the GPS doesnt function right then i will wait for the fix to see if it actually fixes the phone.

Now back on the waiting block to see how long this "fix" will take to come out.

Upvote 0
This doesnt look good for the gps
YouTube - DontHateTheGeek1's Channel
Well, this guy did not even know how to operate a camera on his first video, and then on his 2nd video, all he did was scrolling back and forth on the screen. Do you really trust what he said?

Anyway, we will find out in just a few days. I am going to pre-order the phone on Tuesday. So I can confirm if the GPS is working or not. Stay tuned. :)

Upvote 0
Well, this guy did not even know how to operate a camera on his first video, and then on his 2nd video, all he did was scrolling back and forth on the screen. Do you really trust what he said?

Anyway, we will find out in just a few days. I am going to pre-order the phone on Tuesday. So I can confirm if the GPS is working or not. Stay tuned. :)

Yeah idk what he was running anyway for the gps but yes we will find out in a few days

Upvote 0
The forum member who was a VZ tester for the Fascinate had it for 5 weeks and said he had no GPS issues, so this is strange ..

yeah im not putting too much faith in this after his first video where he couldnt even focus the camera and the fact that im not sure exactly what he was using to test the gps whatever it is ive never seen it before.

Upvote 0
People are delusional enough to think that the fascinate is an exception to the rule. This phone WILL have GPS issues, thats a given. Just look at the other galaxy S phones, all of them have issues.

No they dont think its an exception just that it would have been fixed since they waited to release it months after the other galaxy s phones

Upvote 0
People are delusional enough to think that the fascinate is an exception to the rule. This phone WILL have GPS issues, thats a given. Just look at the other galaxy S phones, all of them have issues.

True, but imprecise. The Captivate and Vibrant seem to have real GPS tracking issues. The Epic 4G, meanwhile, seems to be spot-on for GPS location, navigation, etc per the forums here. However, it seems to report the location "within 30 meters" or so, even when it is in fact tracking precisely. At least that is what the users are saying...

Upvote 0
The forum member who was a VZ tester for the Fascinate had it for 5 weeks and said he had no GPS issues, so this is strange ..
Again, take it with a grain of salt. The Best Buy people told me (and I have already posted it on my original thread) that the GPS has issue on some app but not on all app.

Besides, I trust sundOwn a lot more than this guy at donthatethegeek.com who has been running his show inside his car (the phone was videotaped on top of his car seat). I suspect he was just hitting up his buddy that works for Verizon to take the phone out of the store for a few minutes so that he can make the video. He himself has no access to the phone at all. So I don't trust anything he says.

Upvote 0
Was playing with my coworker's Fascinate at the Verizon store I work at today. Decided to test out the GPS. I turned all GPS settings on and loaded up google maps. After 3 minutes it could not get a lock on the phone in the store, whereas my Incredible got a lock within 10 seconds.

Not a good sign for the Fascinate's GPS abilities.

Upvote 0
I am going off of what sund0wn said that the GPS worked fine. I don't trust this guy, because he doesn't really seem to know what he is talking about. Why didn't he actually run a navigation test? Why didn't he actually try to see how fast it took to pinpoint his location? Why didn't he actually try to make google maps navigate him to somewhere?

This was a pretty stupid video.

Upvote 0
Well, as I said I BRIEFLY was able to test the phone, and the GPS was literally off by over a mile. I believe the results of this video are unfortunately correct. My concern is to know if this is a hardware or software issue (will a software "fix" actually fix the problem?)

Upvote 0
Well, as I said I BRIEFLY was able to test the phone, and the GPS was literally off by over a mile. I believe the results of this video are unfortunately correct. My concern is to know if this is a hardware or software issue (will a software "fix" actually fix the problem?)
I'm on the same page, at this time its a matter of how serious this problem is. I really hope that it is just a software issue and thats it.

Upvote 0
If it's not a software issue, aren't we allowed to get our money back no matter what? It's a defective device if it's a GPS hardware issue. I know I'll plan to get my money back in full if they don't have a fix out within a month of release. I've read some places that it only happens once every few days and if you restart the phone, it goes back to normal for another day or two. If that's the case, I can live with it until there is a fix. I use the GPS all the time, so if it's not fixable that's obviously a deal breaker.

Upvote 0
If it's not a software issue, aren't we allowed to get our money back no matter what? It's a defective device if it's a GPS hardware issue. I know I'll plan to get my money back in full if they don't have a fix out within a month of release. I've read some places that it only happens once every few days and if you restart the phone, it goes back to normal for another day or two. If that's the case, I can live with it until there is a fix. I use the GPS all the time, so if it's not fixable that's obviously a deal breaker.
Exactly. If it were a hardware problem we would all be able to get our money back because they sold us faulty hardware. I am pretty sure it is a software issue since a fix is suosed to come in September.

Upvote 0
For anyone who does a lot of traveling like me, GPS and google Maps are invaluable. If this thing doesn't do GPS, there's no way I'm getting it. If they would just make a DINC with a 4" screen I'd be all set.

^this^
I just got back from a vacation in Hawaii and I used Google maps (with turn by turn navigation) on my old HTC Eris. I was really excited about getting a new phone for me and my wife but with this Bing VZW navigator thing on the Fascinate it seems that this is crippling this phone and sending it back towards the "dumb phone"....I am having serious questions about the Fascinate everything sounds great except for this Bing thing that could really effect the usefulness of this phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones