• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Ok guys take this for what its worth....
I went to a Verizon Store over lunch today and had some time with a couple of the Reps there. One has had the Fascinate for about a week and said that he used it over the weekend to travel. From what he was telling me, he was using google navigation with NO issues. HOWEVER!! We put a Dinc and Fascinate side by side and in Google Maps on the Dinc I got myself standing in the store...on the Fascinate I got across the street! I mean that's probably a 1000ft or so. To me I think I am still gonna get it and the restocking fee is almost worth the cost for the upgrade on screen quality....the screen was absolutely beautiful!!
So I'm curious, the Reps are also saying that they believe Verizon is trying to push VZ Nav with this phone, and that the GPS works great in it as well. IMO this bodes well for the xda dev fix thats out there...any thoughts?!

Upvote 0
Ok guys take this for what its worth....
I went to a Verizon Store over lunch today and had some time with a couple of the Reps there. One has had the Fascinate for about a week and said that he used it over the weekend to travel. From what he was telling me, he was using google navigation with NO issues. HOWEVER!! We put a Dinc and Fascinate side by side and in Google Maps on the Dinc I got myself standing in the store...on the Fascinate I got across the street! I mean that's probably a 1000ft or so. To me I think I am still gonna get it and the restocking fee is almost worth the cost for the upgrade on screen quality....the screen was absolutely beautiful!!
So I'm curious, the Reps are also saying that they believe Verizon is trying to push VZ Nav with this phone, and that the GPS works great in it as well. IMO this bodes well for the xda dev fix thats out there...any thoughts?!

What would you expect them to say, that GPS stinks and so does Bing? They're looking for sales and most will say just about anything to get these devices out the door.

Upvote 0
dsignori said:
Just out of curiousity, regarding GPS performance on the Fascinate: On the Engadget Epic 4G review, they mentioned that Samsung told Engadget this:
"Google is now requiring that the "use wireless networks" setting for location-based services be turned off by default in Android devices -- in other words, no AGPS unless you manually enable it. Sure enough, we went into Settings, found that it was disabled on the Epic, turned it on, and we were good to go."
I wonder if all the reviewers are actually turning on AGPS before testing GPS performance...

Something interesting...

Upvote 0
Ok, I don't know what experience the other reviewers have had, but I have now tried 3 (THREE) separate units in 3 separate locations and my conclusion is GPS is 100% BROKEN / Non-Functional!

I just got back from a 3rd VZW location. I had the Fascinate next to the droid display. They had 2 Xs, and incredible and a d2. I installed GPS Test on all 5 of them and ran them:

This is the order they were set up on the display, all a few inches from each other and the results
X: 5 sat in view, 5 in use
D2: 7 sat in view, 7 in use
Inc: 10 sat in view, 10 in use

I moved the Fascinate around all of them:
Fascinate: 0 sat in view, 0 in use, 0 accuracy!
I gave it about 10min to acquire a sat, never did, the others had locks almost instantly.
I even took the phone outside of the building with the rep, nothing!

These results are similar to the other unit I tried. I did not try GPS test on the first unit, but as previously noted the location in gave on Google Maps was literally a mile or more off.

Upvote 0
Ok, I don't know what experience the other reviewers have had, but I have now tried 3 (THREE) separate units in 3 separate locations and my conclusion is GPS is 100% BROKEN / Non-Functional!

I just got back from a 3rd VZW location. I had the Fascinate next to the droid display. They had 2 Xs, and incredible and a d2. I installed GPS Test on all 5 of them and ran them:

This is the order they were set up on the display, all a few inches from each other and the results

I gave it about 10min to acquire a sat, never did, the others had locks almost instantly.

These results are similar to the other unit I tried. I did not try GPS test on the first unit, but as previously noted the location in gave on Google Maps was literally a mile or more off.

Ok, i think it is safe to assume that whether the GPS works sometimes for some people, it is definitely still broken. Here is some of the questions i wish Samsung would answer.

For starters, WHEN in September can we be looking for this supposed fix?

And also, is this fix going to fix it so it works just as good or better than other phones in the market, or is it going to fix it to where yes it does work, but it's mediocre at best and shows you "within a mile" or something of that sort?

I wonder when we are going to hear an update on this.

Upvote 0
The fact that GPS is so horribly broken on the last of the SGS phones, after months of its siblings being in the wild makes me think this is a hardware problem. Probably part of the SOC that is not able to be readily fixed. I am sure they have tried many software patches, but if this phone doesn't launch with a fix do you really believe a fix will be coming out in the next couple of weeks?

Upvote 0
The fact that GPS is so horribly broken on the last of the SGS phones, after months of its siblings being in the wild makes me think this is a hardware problem. Probably part of the SOC that is not able to be readily fixed. I am sure they have tried many software patches, but if this phone doesn't launch with a fix do you really believe a fix will be coming out in the next couple of weeks?

this would suck. if after 30 days, it's not fixed, im just gonna take it back. Does BestBuy charge the restocking fee? and if you buy it at bestbuy do you always have to go through them even with the 1 year warranty?

Upvote 0

Man oh man. Did you happen to notice if AGPS was turned on with the Fascinates you tried? The "use wireless networks" setting for location-based services may be defaulted to off on these..

Upvote 0
I did not check aGPS status, however with the other phones varying between 5-10 sats, and the Fasc at 0, who cares. You need the sats for a good GPS lock and my bet is that its broken in the SOC. Everything else could be changed in the phone design to fix such a fundamental flaw. The only thing that would be so challenging to fix is the SOC, which if I am not mistaken is where Samsung does its GPS, correct.

Upvote 0
I did not check aGPS status, however with the other phones varying between 5-10 sats, and the Fasc at 0, who cares. You need the sats for a good GPS lock and my bet is that its broken in the SOC. Everything else could be changed in the phone design to fix such a fundamental flaw. The only thing that would be so challenging to fix is the SOC, which if I am not mistaken is where Samsung does its GPS, correct.

sorry, what's SOC? Everything else ive seen points to it being software. I've read a lot about this, and you're the only guy that really maintains that you believe it's hardware. I guess we'll see... i hope?

Upvote 0
I have NO evidence that its hardware. I just find it hard to believe that if its software that it wouldn't have been fixed by now, especially on a phone released this late, when the reportedly already have a fix ready to be released...

Regarding SOC:
System-on-a-chip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You saying it "WOULD" have been fixed if it was just software? I agree... weird that it would take so long, but they have said theyre releasing the update this month over and over, so there are still 23 days left for them to not be pullin our leg. Plus it makes sense that they might bundle it into the Froyo release right?

reading through the thread "Demystifying GPS issues" makes one think that they might've actually had to re-write the drivers from scratch, which i guess COULD take time. I'm not a programmer, so I have no idea how long those type of things take. But the Epic still has issues, though maybe not as severe from what I've heard--meaning they might've just tried to patch it the best they could for now until the real 'fix' comes this month.

Just trying to think positive i guess, haha. I guess I could just wait for one of the dual core phones from Motorola or Samsung (if they make that one with a working GPS!!!) later this year :/
http://androidforums.com/captivate-...demystifying-gps-issues-samsung-galaxy-s.html

Upvote 0
I just wish more of these video reviews would show more of the things people are wondering. We know what the phone interface looks like, the body, and that Bing is on it.

Wish these different people would go outside, start up Google Maps, and see how well the GPS works. This way we clearly get a view on if it works or not, and how well it does or doesn't for multiple people in different areas.

Upvote 0
I just wish more of these video reviews would show more of the things people are wondering. We know what the phone interface looks like, the body, and that Bing is on it.

Wish these different people would go outside, start up Google Maps, and see how well the GPS works. This way we clearly get a view on if it works or not, and how well it does or doesn't for multiple people in different areas.
I guarantee starting tomorrow we will start to see more videos testing the GPS. People will get their hands on it and post videos testing the GPS on Bing and Google maps.

I also bet that in a week, we will see tutorials on how to get Google Search on the phone instead of Bing.

Upvote 0
I guarantee starting tomorrow we will start to see more videos testing the GPS. People will get their hands on it and post videos testing the GPS on Bing and Google maps.

I also bet that in a week, we will see tutorials on how to get Google Search on the phone instead of Bing.

Androidcentral has a thread on that exactly already. Someone backed up copies of the google search apks and posted them there. Going to try to side load them tomorrow when I get mine.

As far as the GPS, we will see how that turns out. I don't think it's hardware, unless the hardware is vastly different than the international SGS, as I don't recall hearing any issues with GPS on that one, even when imported.

Upvote 0
I will bet that the GPS issue will be the same as the Captivate and Vibrant and it MIGHT get fixed when the phone gets updated to 2.2.

The Bing issue is just a matter of installing the correct Android App for google. On my phone, I can remove the Google search bar and I never use it anyway. I type my search in the browser itself.

They will probably have a root procedure in the first or second day which will be slightly different than the Vibrant and Captivate, but similar.

D

Upvote 0
This is the one aspect of this phone that still worries me. The software stuff will be resolved, I have no doubt whether by Samsung or root or otherwise.

I'll probably be getting one tomorrow either way, but I do like the notion that the international galaxys didn't have any GPS issues, because that is at least encouraging in that it implies this is possible to resolve from a software fix.

I have been amazed at how hard some reviews have been on this (and similarly on the Droid X) for the software. I love my DInc, but I can't imagine this stuff is so horribly bad, because my sense software isn't perfect either.

Upvote 0
Yes, confirmed, the international SGS GPS is also crap:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s/104872-gps-issues.html

Not good. Thanks though.

I guess at the very least if it isn't fixed, it is a damn good reason to take the phone back and demand a replacement/refund.

Big Red is notorious for their testing of phones, and I just can't imagine they'd let this release with a known issue like this unless they knew there was a legitimate fix coming very soon.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones