1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Gps issues.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by juanito157, Aug 28, 2011.

1. juanito157

juanito157 Well-Known Member

I have a non rooted Charge. It will not grab a GPS signal. Before i have my phone replaced, is this a common issue with this phone? I've been reading the threads and seems like rooting with a specific Rom is the only solution? Can't seem to find this topic on a non-rooted device. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. trparky

trparky Android Enthusiast

Sadly, yes it is a common occurrence on this phone.

3. juanito157

That sucks! This phone is so so laggy and now gps doesn't work? Why is everyone so in love with this phone? Have we just come to accept inferior tech as Android lovers? I'm so so tired of this crap! I'm willing to root if it's a real fix but with all the available roms... I'm just not sure which is the best and most reliable one and which one will cure the gps issue? Thanks for your response

4. trparky

GummyCharged 2.0, by far the best ROM. All I have to say is that this ROM seriously kicks ass and takes names!

If you need help doing the flash, I have a step-by-step guide that someone gave me to help me flash my phone and I have a perfectly working phone now.

CalBearsFan95 likes this.
  5. juanito157

Thank you... Absolutely I'm interested, I have no choice. I've already tried the Thunderbolt (failed) and Verizon isn't getting the Galaxy S II.... and I hear the Bionic will Not be an lte device, so I guess I'm stuck with my Charge for now. Any drawbacks? Hiccups? Instability? Thanks Again

6. trparky

No drawbacks with GummyCharged that I can see but I've only been running it since 2.0 launch which was two or three days ago.

7. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Android Expert

You can try GPSFix from market, it fixed my GPS!

8. executor485

executor485 Well-Known Member

Whoever said the Bionic isnt an LTE device is a moron. ALL the marketing for it has been that it IS an LTE device. That's the big selling point of it, it will the the first dual core LTE device for Verizon.

As for crappy Charge, yes... It's got some big issues that I tried to work with Verizon on and they told me to shove it. Thanks! I pay outrageous prices for a service and even more for your crap phone and I get what? Nice

For the GPS, something that helped me, SOME, not a ton, but some... Download and install "GPSfix" from the market. It will use a little battery because it polls the satellites every so often, but it has helped MASSIVELY with getting a signal. I still have issues from time to time, but it has made it about 80% better.

9. juanito157

Thanks, I'll give it a try and see how it does but more than likely I will root my device. As far as the Bionic is concerned, I read the latest article on engadget and I can see that it will indeed be an LTE device :) not sure where I picked up that bad info from but i read it somewhere :-/

10. listerone

listerone Lurker

I've had the same problem.I found that going into settings and deselecting and the reselecting the three GPS options fixes the problem.A pain in the neck to be sure,but....

Verizon tech told me that this is an issue and my method is a reliable remedy.:thinking:

11. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert

After all the issues Samsung had with the epic, captivate, fascinate and vibrant's GPS you think they'd get it fixed!

jimburn69 likes this.
  12. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member

I flashed with Gingerbread yesterday, and so far, it takes phone roughly a minute or so to go from "searching gps" to voice guidance. checked on this 3 or 4 times, same consistent result.

13. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member

ok, last update. just installed GPSfix. I have connection and voice directions right by the time map screen loads. basically, instant.

14. bake80424

bake80424 Newbie

i am interested in the step by step root-ing process, i am not tech-savy and scared to root it, but i cant deal with this lag anymore and my navi works fine but my gps (maps) is ALWAYS worng......

15. trparky

There are a lot of posts around these parts that explain how to root and ROM your phone. I have one located here.

16. MaxBuck

MaxBuck Member

I run two apps in sequence: GPS Test and GPS Status. It takes a couple of minutes to get an accurate GPS fix, but that's not very different from my experience with a Garmin stand-alone.

17. trparky

I just installed an EP4-based ROM that was recently released and I'm happy to say that GPS locking is near instantaneous! I opened up GPS Status and it locked onto the GPS system in less than ten seconds!

18. Zohar127

Zohar127 Member

I can confirm what trparky said. The EP4P leak has a great GPS. I typed in my work address from home using the navigation app and it instantaneously locked on. Never worked that well before.

It's also much faster. Scored a 1405 in Quadrant. Up from what I believe was around the 900s on stock.

Samsung Droid Charge Forum

The Samsung Droid Charge release date was May 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1600mAh battery.

May 2011
Release Date
Reviews