• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS Location Saving/Sharing App..does it exist?

ranger3484

Jun 5, 2010
I've looked but I can't find an app that allows a user to save a location that can be sent wirelessly to people of your choice. Specifically, I share a car with a friend. We spend quite a bit of time trying to communicate to each other as to where the car is parked. Is there an app that would not only save the car's position but also send it to others so they can find it? I've looked at a ton of car locator apps, no luck. CAR LOCATOR does this but my friend has an iPhone which is not supported by CAR LOCATOR. Looking for somthing that would work on both platforms. I'd still like it even if it's not a car locator app. Could be a fishing spot app, geocaching, etc. I just can't find anything that'll do what I need.

Any ideas?

ranger

I have Google Maps on my HTC EVO but I can't find the Share Location option anywhere.

The function was recently added - it should be accessible by:
- long press on a location on the map
- tap the popup address
- press option 'Share this place'

I get options to share through bluetooth, facebook, messaging, twitter, email, google mail.

If not, check the market for a newer version.

Alternatively you can use apps like 'Here I am' to share your current location via sms / email. The sent link automatically opens in Google maps on the receiver's phone if iPhone / Android.

HTH

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones