• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS/Location sometimes thinks I'm at home when I'm not

essenceofire

Mar 27, 2011
I'm at my wits end, T-Mobile has replaced my phone twice...and all 3 phones have had this problem.

Sometimes, when I'm not at home, Google Maps and other apps will show me as being home. This happens daily at work, ~5 miles away. It happens on Wifi. It happens on Data. It's fairly random.

I got my first S7 in August, and it definitely did not happen with my old phone. I was a big Pokemon Go player in and I would go to play on my lunch break at work and it would show me as being home. A restart of the phone or toggling the location button in the task menu would fix it. If I open up Google Maps during this time and it shows me as being at Home.

I have a smart thermostat that will kick my heat on if I'm in a certain radius from my house. It'll send me a notification when I'm home/away, and it's been going off 3-5 times a day at work. This is causing my furnace to turn on when I'm not at home, costing me money.

TMobile told me they have no known issues with this device doing this. They sent me the first replacement thinking it was an antenna problem. They sent the second one thinking that maybe lightning struck twice. I'm annoyed that I had to replace my phone 3 times in 2 weeks.

Does anyone have any ideas or troubleshooting tips that I can do? My device is set to Mobile Networks, WiFi and GPS for location. My phone is stock 6.0.1 Android.

My next step is to completely wipe the phone and add apps one by one back, but that is really my last resort and I'm hoping someone here can solve this!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones