1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

GPS lock lost when screen times out

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mushyhuz, Sep 20, 2011.

1. mushyhuz

mushyhuz Lurker

Can anyone help me out with this? Im not sure if this is a problem with my galaxy s2 or if the gps is meant to function this way.

when i use say google maps the gps locks on pretty fast n i have no issues with the locking time and accuracy..however after the screen switches off automatically (i have my screen time out at 30secs) the gps loses its lock..i.e wen i wake the sceen again the gps has to relock into position..even though it was locked on previously..this is kinda troublesome and irritating because i have to wait till the blue cursor gets back onto track every time my screen goes off.

so is there anyway to make sure the lock remains on even wen the screen goes off?? i used a nokia c7 and i never faced a prob like this..

I bought my galaxy s2 a month ago running on gingerbread 2.3.4
    any help would be appreciated! :)

Advertisement

2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

To have the GPS on 24/7 would drain your battery in a few hours.

However, there are other ways of increasing the speed, accuracy and duration of your lock. See here:-

http://androidforums.com/2918122-post88.html

Hope this helps.

3. mushyhuz

mushyhuz Lurker

yep i've followed those steps earlier..but i dont think you got my point..i dont have any issue with the locking time..that happens very quickly..and its not tht i want gps on all the time..but i need to run all the time wen im using navigation or google maps..i dont want the lock to get switched off wen the screen turns off (say i didn touch the screen within 30 secs) and even if i allow it to sleep jus for a sec the lock is lost.

i hope you get what im trying to say here :)

4. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

When I run Navigation, my screen doesnt switch off at all.

5. mushyhuz

mushyhuz Lurker

google navigation?? tht doesn work in my country so im not sure...what about google maps though? the screen turns off there right?

6. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Maps turns off, as it's not designed for navigation purposes...

Navigation, for obvious reasons, doesn't.

May I ask which country you're in please?

7. mushyhuz

mushyhuz Lurker

im from india.. ah so i guess u got what im askin for now? so im assumin its not a problem with my mobile? but is there anyway to keep the lock on?

8. mushyhuz

mushyhuz Lurker

Any help?? :thinking: cause this is really distressin!!

9. Hnibor

Hnibor Lurker

I use the Keep Screen app (from market) to stop the screen lock when using maps

mushyhuz likes this.
  10. mushyhuz

mushyhuz Lurker

thanks alot!..total life saver!..any other options available??

11. hectorj84

hectorj84 Lurker

I'm having the same issue, but I would like to have the screen shut off.

I use an application called EveryTrail, which I use to track my steps as I walk through the woods. Since I am in the woods, I will need to conserve battery life as much as possible (shut off the screen), but I need it to keep tracking using GPS signal.

My Samsung Galaxy Indulge used to work fine with the screen shut off the GPS signal will not get lost, but with the Samsung Stratosphere I have the issue mentioned in this thread. Any workarounds for this? I need GPS to remain functioning while screen is disabled.

Thank you.

12. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert

I have a toggle to keep the screen on at all times which I used when necessary. Although noticed that even with the screen on, you need to tap the icon at the top right to have the map move along with the vehicle sometimes. The icon is for 3D, fixed map position and map moves along with vehicle for each tap of the icon.

At least that is how it is in mine.

13. hectorj84

hectorj84 Lurker

Temporary Fix! If you lose GPS fix every time you lock you screen, you may do this...

1. Turn on the Navigation software that comes stock with Droid, choose a location, and ask it to take you there. Do NOT close out of the Navigation app. You may hit the Home button, but don't exit the Navigation. Mute the Navigation app. using the Menu button if you don't want it to get annoying. It will most likely start speaking directions to you.

2. Open your GPS app. of choice, and use it as usual. Once it is open, keep your app. open. Do not hit the Home button, you want your app. to be the main app. up on the screen every time you unlock your phone. You may lock your screen, but don't close out of Navigation. You may need to test it at home first before you take it to the field as results may vary from phone to phone. Double check that it is working by locking your screen, using your GPS app., and then unlocking your screen.

I'm no Droid developer, if the Navigation App. has this functionality, I'm sure it's possible some way that other GPS apps. can incorporate it too, or a Utility App. can be created just for this purpose.

=)

Edit: This workaround only seems to keep the GPS fix a little longer. It seems like it still loses the fix about 30 minutes or an hour later or so. I am still playing with it to figure out exactly what the trick to it is.