1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General GPS Locking Issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by raykau, Jan 29, 2014.

1. raykau

raykau Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    Hello

I would be grateful if someone could share their experience and advice as to whether they have been able to fix GPS locking issues/

I have Galaxy Note 2 and on Google Maps it stays Searching and stays like that for a long time.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and been able to fix this.

Would be extremely grateful for some advice / insights on this.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. nsa_sailor

nsa_sailor Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    Engineer
    Wichita
    Settings > Location Services turned on?
    GPS & Verizon location services checked?
    Google Wi-Fi and mobile network location checked?
    Do you have any other apps that use GPS that you can check to see if your gps is working properly?

3. raykau

raykau Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    Location services: all three ticked
    GPS on; am in the UK with EE what will be the Verizon location services equivalent?
    Wifi enabled ; 3g data not enabled -- do i need it enabled for GPS?
    I downloaded check with the "GPS status" App and Gpsfix both could not track GPS as did not Google Maps

:(

4. nsa_sailor

nsa_sailor Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    Engineer
    Wichita
    Sounds like your gps hardware isn't working.
    Might need a visit to your provider.

5. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Male
    Process Engineer
    Winston-Salem, NC
    You need to enable data to see if you then get a lock. The GPS receivers in these devices work well, but aren't extremely robust. They use aGPS to get an initial lock, which means they use a rough location from other sources to get started. Once they get an initial lock, they should be able to maintain it without assistance. They also download satellite location tables from the internet (a very small download) that will help them perform a stand alone lock quicker in the near future. My old handheld GPSr takes up to 15 minutes to achieve a lock if it has been off for an extended period of time, but after establishing a lock and updating the position tables, it locks fairly quickly until it sets unused for a while.

6. womb raider

womb raider Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    Glos.

I find I have to have 3g enabled to find a GPS signal. No idea why, but give it a go.

7. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Male
    Process Engineer
    Winston-Salem, NC
    You probably don't "have" to have 3g enabled, but without it, it takes a long time for the receiver in your device to find the satellites. There are roughly 24 (they may have added another or two, I used to keep up with it) satellites in geosynchronous orbit placed evenly around the planet. With a data connection, you device has a rough idea where it is. So it can use the satellite position database that it downloads to determine what should be in sight and roughly where it will be. Once it finds one, the others are quite simple for it to find. If you have no data connection, the device begins searching at the top of the list for satellites and progresses through the list until if finds a signal. With each discovery, the ability to find the next signal gets easier. That is why when you see your device pick up one signal, the next signal comes much quicker and with each additional signal things speed up geometrically. Without data, it may take 5 to 10 minutes to find a first satellite. Once found the second can take roughly the same amount of time. After the second the third will come in much more quickly and then all of a sudden you have 9 locks. With the data connection, the device says I'm here and then downloads a location database for satellites in sight and then searches for only those. Buildings, trees, clouds and other obstructions can slow down a lock drastically, even with data assist. My old handheld Magellan unit has taken up to 30 minutes to establish a first lock when in a valley in the mountains under cover of trees. On that particular trip, I was ready for a rest anyway.

Sorry for the dissertation, but sometimes I get chatty.

8. womb raider

womb raider Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    Glos.
    That's cool mate, thanks for explaining.