1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

General GPS/Maps issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SirEagle, May 16, 2010.

1. SirEagle

SirEagle Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Akron, Ohio
    Anyone find that it takes forever and then some to get the GPS to locate you in map/navigation apps lately? If I have it checked to use wireless networks it will sit at something like "acurate to with 1900m for a long time. Usually I only have it set to use GPS satellites. Doesn't happen always but damn near it. Sometimes a reboot helps. Makes no difference if I'm indoors or out. Happens in Google Nav/maps or Waze. Just went in Google Maps and it took 3 minutes to get accurate location. Running 2.1v3 leak.

Advertisement

2. SirEagle

Feb 21, 2010
    Akron, Ohio
  3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    I was having trouble when I left GPS turned on all the time. I have recently started turning it off when I'm not using it and it starts right up and finds a satellite quickly.

4. SirEagle

Feb 21, 2010
    Akron, Ohio
    Might have to try that. Does the weather and other apps still work OK with GPS off. Right now I leave it on all the time.

5. friday

friday Member

May 20, 2010
    Weather works fine for me when I leave GPS off. I only use GPS for maps/navigation.

6. cpupeli1

cpupeli1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    GPS has been crappy for me the past few days, I'm in NY though

7. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    What I don't get though, is why is it so much faster to connect to GPS than a dedicated GPS device. Our Garmin nuvi takes almost 5 minutes to get a reliable signal outside. My Eris takes anywhere from 10 seconds to maybe a minute if I'm in my basement. They both are just as accurate, and possibly the Eris is better since Google Maps is more up to date (the Garmin is almost 4 years old). Just something that struck me as odd.

8. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Automotive Electrical Technician / Mechanic
    I'm a drifter.. here and there.

Have you run your Garmin Updater and got the new firmware? If not, you probably should :) I noticed we were having lots of lag with ours, went to Garmin.com and updated, It still lags but not NEAR as much.

9. Blrfl

Blrfl Well-Known Member

You're probably better off leaving the network positioning on. The coarse position and time it provides can be used to help the GPS acquire a fix faster.

--Mark