1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support GPS Mock Locations/Advanced GPS spoofing question

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Hornswaggled, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Hornswaggled

Hornswaggled Lurker
    None

Mar 11, 2016
    Male
    Hi there,

I have a company-issued app, mainly just for assignments and messaging of company business back and forth with employees in the field. The app has had a function (for safety reasons) to prevent usage when it detects motion via GPS, the fear being a user texting while driving. The problem with this approach is that the company has both solo people and teams on the road, and for the teams, it prevents legitimate usage by a non-driving team member while in motion.

Up to this point, I've been countering this function for my team by using an app called "Fake GPS" that toggles the "Allow mock locations" Developer option, and supplies a stationary GPS location of the user's choice.

A new version of the app has now emerged that checks the status of the "Allow mock locations" toggle, and prevents usage if it is turned on. Along with that, the new version of the app has been forced upon everyone by disabling functionality of the old version.

Anyone have any thoughts on a new way (or app) to counter this motion-detection feature so we can continue to conduct company business safely and efficiently?

Advertisement

2. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    If you are on Lollipop or Marshmallow perhaps you can disable the location permission for that app? If that's not an option would turning off location on your device while in the car solve the issue?

3. Hornswaggled

Hornswaggled Lurker
    None

Mar 11, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for the reply.

Back in the KitKat days, I know that turning off Location Services caused the app to fail to function. That was my first attempted counter measure before coming upon the app Fake GPS. I would guess that disabling the Location permission would have the same result, though I will try this to confirm.

Anybody know of any apps or methods of spoofing GPS that don't involve use of the Allow mock locations toggle in Developer options?

4. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    Would tackling this at the source be an option? I mean, if you and/or multiple employees explained the situation to the higher ups, is it possible they'd consider removing the restriction?

I'll have to get back to you on other solutions. Right now I don't have any other ideas.

5. Hornswaggled

Hornswaggled Lurker
    None

Mar 11, 2016
    Male
    Yes, I considered the approach you mentioned, but it's a rather spread-out group of users. That means we don't normally interact with any of the decision-makers, or for that matter even know who they would be for this matter. Along with that, it would be hard to even assemble a group of users to jointly complain. Thus, I feel seeking counter measures is the path of least resistance at this point.

Thanks for the input.

6. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    if the GPS is turned OFF, it can't know if you are moving or not.

You can also wrap the phone in aluminum foil and it can't even see the sky....
    you wrap foil all around it, and curl it around the edges, leave enough room to see the face of it, and with you being in the car under the metal roof, guarantee it wont' know you are moving.

my phone will not read satellites if it is in my shirt pocket while driving.... I have to place it up on the dash....
    in a pickup truck, no problems, but my little car is like being in a cave.

#6 AZgl1500, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  7. Hornswaggled

Hornswaggled Lurker
    None

Mar 11, 2016
    Male
    if the GPS is turned OFF, it can't know if you are moving or not.
    True, but it can detect that the GPS is turned off, and as a result of that, block usage and demand that the GPS be turned on to use the app.

You can also wrap the phone in aluminum foil and it can't even see the sky....
    you wrap foil all around it, and curl it around the edges, leave enough room to see the face of it, and with you being in the car under the metal roof, guarantee it wont' know you are moving.

my phone will not read satellites if it is in my shirt pocket while driving.... I have to place it up on the dash....
    in a pickup truck, no problems, but my little car is like being in a cave.

Interesting approach, and perhaps worth some research, thanks. Not really my ultimate desired answer, but a start. One point that comes to mind is how much this app is relying on GPS positioning, and how much (if any) it is relying on mobile (cell towers) for rough positioning; if you've seen on Google maps sometimes when it shows a large blue dot (at first) for your present position, that is relying on cell towers for a low-accuracy location. Once the GPS gets a signal lock, the blue dot gets much smaller as accuracy improves with GPS positioning.

8. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    You are sort of between a Rock and a Hard Place with that app.

I disagree with the developers in what they have done.
    But, they probably were "told how to make it work" by Corporate Lawyers.

9. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Besides GPS and local cell towers don't forget that our phones also rely on WiFi for location tracking. Airplane Mode will disable all of them but then it's a question of why carry around smartphone.