• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS no longer locks

Let's see if this works for someone else. In location settings disable network assisted GPS. Leave everything else on. GPS test had me down to 10 feet. Have not tried GMaps yet. Will try later today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-10-09-04-57-23-1.png
    Screenshot_2013-10-09-04-57-23-1.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
Let's see if this works for someone else. In location settings disable network assisted GPS. Leave everything else on. GPS test had me down to 10 feet. Have not tried GMaps yet. Will try later today.

Using the above advice, my GPS has locked on me through google maps and has not lost it. However, I am at work and not on the move. So, I'm not sure it will follow me, but we'll find out on my way home.

Upvote 0
okay took a trip using Google Maps. GPS was on and off the entire time, worked fine for a minute, then gone, then back. I guess the hardware is to blame. Doesn't surprise me after all the accelerometer issues everyone has had.

I had the same results. Worked great for a minute, but then started to go in and out again. However, it was much better than before.

Upvote 0
Just checking to see if there has been any update to this issue? I too have the same problem with my ZTE Avid. It's really frustrating because about 33% of my usage of the phone was GPS. I hate to go out and buy a different model phone for GPS when the phone I have otherwise works fine (except for this now broken feature!).

Outside of this forum, though, I can't seem to find any other information on the problem. I guess there aren't enough of us that own the phone to make a big enough stink for it to be an issue.

Upvote 0
I don't have any update. I still get GPS to work most mornings before 8:00 am with only the stock Google Navigation app installed. But after 8am it typically won't lock. Sometimes late in the evening it will. But because it seems to be time related, I really suspect MetroPCS rather than the hardware. But I have not yet stopped into a store to ask them about it.

Upvote 0
Nothing has worked for me so far. Factory reset, uninstalling everything, nothing. I will get a lock but only hold it for a few seconds and that is it.

So I might be able to use some "near me" types of apps, but no navigation apps. MetroPCS seems to not know anything about it. They did take this model out of the online store shortly after this started happening, though. Coincidence?

Upvote 0
I've got the same issue, I don't know if it started after updating to N9120vB19 or once Google combined navigation & Maps. It stopped working correctly at the time. The only way I could get it to work somewhat consistently is using a GPS app(GPSstatus) that forces GPS to stay active. Since the phone doesn't have the internal magnet for the Compass apps to work(which I was ok with since GPS used to work), it's time for phone upgrade. I believe the issue to be more of an iOS issue than Google Maps since GPS navigation works great on the Mrs. LG Phone.

If I do decide to downgrade from v19b(resetting everything didn't work with that version) and see if that Fixes the issue I'll let everyone know.

Has there been any updates to this thread as far as someone successfully fixing the GPS?

Very Frustrating

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones