1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support gps not able to lock on

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by geo888, Mar 22, 2011.

1. geo888

geo888 Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    so my gps worked when i first got the phone but within the last 2 months iv had troubles with it locking on very accurately. its impossible to use with turn by turn because its a good 5 mile radius. so i was hoping someone would have a fix before i send it into lg for a repair. thanks

Advertisement

2. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Some thoughts.
    1) Sometimes my Optimus S GPS doesn't work, and can take a long time to lock on. Sometimes it works right away. Not sure why.
    2) My brother tells me that his GPS (not cell phone GPS) won't work on the dashboard of one of his cars because there is a metallic film antenna built into the windshield-- throughout the windshield. So make sure you have a clear-sky view with no buildings around.
    3) Obvously try pulling the battery and restarting.

3. geo888

geo888 Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    yeah i guess that car dashboard thing might be a problem with it. one of these clear days ill just put my phone outside and let it try to lock in for a bit before i send it in. its just weird that it only just recently started happening

4. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    I guess it's possible that there's some app on your phone that's creating a conflict and thwarting the GPS. A couple weeks ago, I complained about my GPS & magnotometer sometimes not working. But it's fine most of the time. I read somewhere that it can take up to 12 minutes for the GPS to lock on, depending (I think) on whether or not the phone has received recent aGPS info about the GPS satellites currently overhead.

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-s/292170-optimus-s-gps-magnetometer-doesnt-work-sometimes.html