1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

GPS not always working

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by NewArtDroid, Jun 10, 2019.

1. NewArtDroid

NewArtDroid Well-Known Member

I have a problem where it says it is Searching GPS and then can't seem to find the GPS. Today, I had it for my entire ride to work, and missed hearing about an accident that delayed me 30 minutes. It seems when I restart the phone, it goes away, only to come back later.

2. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Is this in Google Maps or Waze or something else? What sort of environment are you in - flat rural farmland, hilly suburbs, completely surrounded by skyscrapers, etc?

Have you tried using GPS Status & Toolbox to see how long it takes to get a fix under different conditions?

ocnbrze and Unforgiven like this.
  3. NewArtDroid

This problem was happening with both Waze and Maps.

I live in suburbs between Philadelphia and Delaware. Lot of residential areas. No skyscrapers. I first noticed the problem last week when I was deep in New York City, but I've been out of there for 1.5 weeks.

4. codesplice

That GPS Status & Toolbox app includes an option at Menu > Manage A-GPS state. Try using that to first Reset and then Download updated A-GPS data, which should help your phone get a faster fix.

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. NewArtDroid

That seemed to work for my ride home. I installed that App, did the reset and download, and then removed the App. Going out for lunch and going home did have a GPS signal. Thanks for the help. Hopefully it will last.

codesplice and ocnbrze like this.
  6. codesplice

You really shouldn't need the app (I just installed it on my Pixel 3 yesterday to make sure it was the app I was thinking of, and I've not had any GPS issues) but it does seem to help in certain situations. Often just refreshing the A-GPS data once will do the trick and you can then safely uninstall the app (unless you just want to nerd out over the data it provides - can't blame you there!).

Hope it sticks!

7. NewArtDroid

Driving to work this morning with Waze was fine. Good to know I that uninstalling the App after doing a refresh is fine. I was concerned about the ads on it.

codesplice likes this.
  8. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

I've used that app as well. I now use GPS Data+. I paid 1.49 to have no ads and it does all the things too.

codesplice likes this.

Google Pixel 2 XL Forum

The Google Pixel 2 XL release date was October 2017. Features and Specs include a 6.0" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 835 processor, and 3520mAh battery.

October 2017
Release Date
Reviews